• X32 controller running GrblHAL 1.1F
  • Lightburn 1.5
  • GCode Settings:
    $10=0
    $30=1000.00
    $31=0
    $32=1

Problem Description

Traversal lines are appearing when running a job, as shown in the pictures. I have verified that $32=1, is enabled, per the common setup tips we’ve seen across several forums and blogs, and have confirmed this via the console output in Lightburn.

It seems the laser is not turning on and off when moving between letters.

I am at a loss of what it could be, and hoping someone can help this NOOB out.

Thanks

Eric

With a spindle cnc machine, you don’t turn off the spindle, you lift it, then move it. With a laser, you can’t do that, so the $32 variable sets the machine to laser mode, that turns the laser off when it moves.

You have it set correctly, but it’s clearly not doing what you expect.

What I’m looking at, I’d expect more transverse lines if it wasn’t in laser mode.

It would be nice to see how the machine operated. Did it go places that it didn’t leave a mark?

You also have some mechanical issues as you can see the line wiggles on your output.

:smile_cat:

Jack

Thank you for the replay. Here is another example we ran yesterday that has a few more of the traversal lines showing as well

I did discover some dust build up on one of the Y tracks this morning, espcially around one of the bearings. Going to give it a good cleanig to see if that addresses the wiggles, as you pointed out.

:grin:

I doubt that’s an issue… it looks more like belts…

What does it look like in the preview preview-icon with show transversal lines enabled. This will show where the head is traveling and the red should look like the lines you’re trying to get rid of. This will help us figure out where this is occurring.

I will get a screen shot of that here shortly and post it.

My machine is an Openbuilds LEAD 1010, and uses the lead screws to drive the X/Y not belts. Makes me wonder if there is a mechanical issue somewhere, something getting slightly stuck perhaps.

I’m not familiar with this particular machine, so …

I assume your lead screws are driven directly by the steppers? If this is the case, I’d double check all the mount points to ensure something isn’t loose.

I’ve had issues, as others have, from the couplers sliding a small amount… sometimes it’s grub screws on these.

Figuring out mechanical anomalies can be absolutely hair pulling… take you time…

Can you make out where I see the wiggle? From my time with these, I think it’s a Y problem because it appears when the X axes is drawing something and it goes in the Y direction…

Make sense?

Here’s what the preview looks like

SOLUTION has been discovered…

I landed up looking at the PWM signals and turns out I had a loose/disconnected wire on the +5 side of the PWM signal.

Fixed the wire, and re-ran the test… Worked as expected.

We also discovered, mechanically, 1 of the bearings was loose and that fixed my wiggles issue as well.

Here is a good test run

Jack, thank you for your help today! It’s nice to know we have a good set of folks helping NOOBs like me… much appreciated!

Eric

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.