Triangle dimension in polygon tool

Using the polygon tool to create a triangle, the width and height entered into the shape dialog do not correspond to the width and height of the actual triangle. I am attaching an image showing a triangle next to a square. The side of the square is set to 40 mm, the height of the triangle to 40 mm, and its width to 20 mm. One can clearly see that the dimensions do not line up.

Can you upload the .lbrn file for review?

Like this - the triangle width in shape properties is the same as the square
Triangle_Square.lbrn (5.8 KB)

1 Like

When I opened file and selected the triangle it showed as 15x36, changed it to 15x20 and it looks correct now.
Triangle_Square.lbrn (6.1 KB)

The OP was referring to the number under shape properties being the same for both shapes.

This can be tricky. Shape Properties shows the size of the shape relative to the original size of the shape, meaning prior to transformations done on multiple selections of shapes. It can begin to deviate if the shape is ever resized while grouped with another shape.

Because of this it’s best to reference the geometric size of the shape in the Numeric Edits toolbar.

Yes, exactly like this. Apparently the numbers in the shape properties and the one shown in the toolbar don’t refer to the same dimensions.

Maybe, but here I was simply creating a simple polygon and changing its size. Since the number of sides can only be changed in the shape properties panel, it would stand to reason that the other dimensions are referring to the resulting shape, or at least the rectangular bounding box of that shape.

If you create a single primitive, and change only its own size in Shape Properties then the size in Shape Properties and Numeric Edits should match consistently. Are you saying that’s what you did?

This is true until the relationship is broken by transforming the shape as part of a group.

Sorta related, does anybody else find it curious that the shape properties tab doesn’t allow for the entering of units? I saw an old post where it was claimed that units have been supported since 2018.

Yes, that’s what I did. Create a rectangle, for example, using the polygon tool and check the difference in size values in the shape properties and numeric toolbar fields. They don’t match.

Ah, in that case I think you’re dealing with something else. Polygon sizes are not exactly the same as edge-to-edge geometric sizes. They reflect the calculated size of the ellipse that encircles the polygon. So orientation of the polygon will affect its geometric width and height but not the shape properties width and height.

Thanks. I suppose I’ll accept that the dimensions for polygons are to be taken with a grain of salt.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.