Trouble setting up SainSmart Chinese laser. GBRL and S Value problem

Hello, Newbie here using a Shapeoko XXL, SainSmart 445nm Blue-Violet Light Laser Module Kit for Genmitsu CNC Machine 3018-MX3/3018-PROVer, and Lightburn.

I’m having trouble setting GBRL to $30=255 and S Value to 255 or 1000/1000. The only configuration I can get to work is $30=255 and S Value to 1000. With that set up I have to raise my ‘Fire’ button power to 8% to see the laser.

I played with the settings and did get $30=1000 and S Value to 10000 to fire my laser very weakly at 1% and it increases power with increase of power percentage, so not sure if I can run that way.

A guy on the FB groups with the same set up said he has $30=255 and S Value at 255 but he had to raise his power percentage to 25% to see the laser. I can’t figure out how to do this. Mine has a max setting of 20%.

And another guy posted a topic in the Lightburn forums with identical symptoms. I believe he determined the laser and controller weren’t compatible; however, I don’t think this is the case in my situation because of the guy above who says he has is working at 255/255. Plus, I bought my laser and controller as a combined unit, so I’m hoping they’re compatible. Link to his post: Weird Power Issue ? 5.5W Genmitsu CNC 3018-MX3, 3018-PROVer I would just reach to him for advice but his post is closed and I don’t see an PM feature.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!! - Rick

Just checking that it is the blue metal coloured Sainsmart laser you are using with the 3018-PROVer.

As it is not compatible with the CNC-3018 Pro. I had that issue. Fixed when swapped for the black coloured version.

Yes, it’s the blue one. I’m using it with my Shapeoko CNC.

So, you think it NOT compatible? It does Fire and I burnt something. I just can’t match the GRBL and Lightburn settings.

I know when I was sold wrongly the Blue one for use with the CNC 3018 Pro with the Woodpecker board. I had the exact same issue, like you I asked here but no amount of troubleshooting would solve it. Replacing it with the Black laser version solved this for me. It may well be the same for you I cant say for sure. Do you know anyone that you could burrow the black version from to do a quick test.

Heres my post a while back

https://forum.lightburnsoftware.com/t/weird-power-issue-5-5w-genmitsu-cnc-3018-mx3-3018-prover/16511/21

YES… YES… YES!!! I’ve read your post yesterday! It’s EXACTLY the same issue as mine. I was freaking out because it was a closed post and I was dying to talk to you about it.

So, you never got a solution? I’ve emailed SainSmart and waiting for a response. Like yours, mine will only work with $30=255 and S Value at 1000. Even then, it won’t fire until it’s at 8% in Lightburn.

It will fire at 1% with the settings at $30=1000 and S Value at 10000 but I’m not sure that’s a solution.

I don’t know anyone else locally who does this or have access to another laser.

So, I’ll need to buy an entirely different laser?? Wow, what a waste! I wonder is SainSmart will give me a deal or swap mine out?

Yeah only swapping the laser worked for me.

Speak to Sainsmart I found them good to speak too. Just not the fastest.

Ok… I have an email into their CS, so I’m waiting for a reply. I just hope my Amazon purchased SainSmart isn’t a knockoff.

Can I ask, what did you end up getting and do you like it?

I got the black coloured version and the difference is night and day.