Trying Out a Free photo to laser Convertor

@Did you choose WOOD…that is for glass

@sensor you must IMPORT…Then RESIZE…Then Material …in that order

That’s what I did wrong.
Thank you.

Hey Jim,

I replied with the solution of my error. But yes… you must follow each step otherwise you get an error.
Resize I left to standard just to try and that gave me the error.
Seems to work good!
Still fiddling with the settings of my laser… but this looks very very promising!

Like it! Very easy to use!!

@beltramidave…and they are making some major upgrades …lol I kinda been giving feedback

The script seems to do an excellent job when it works, but sadly it’s currently a little unstable. Despite all the suggestions above, it’s still a matter of being lucky to get a result. I’ve even closed the page down completely, but when I reopen, Resize doesn’t work and the image is always negative (Glass or Acrylic engraved on the rear surface) when any of the options including Wood are selected.

When I eventually got a-non reversed image, it did vary a lot from test to test. If you continue to get a negative image, use any photo program such as IrfanView which is free to reverse it. You will then need to do a horizontal flip.

It’s a great little program and I hope they can get the bugs out soon.

In all honesty, I think the results are pretty amazing. The accompanying screenshot is a CorelDraw vector with a JPG image of a locomotive added. This was then converted to a JPG which I used to produce the Laser image. I consider it perfect because all the detail is there.

I did find I got far better results by allowing each of the above steps time to be processed. When you add the photo - wait, when you click resize - wait, when you choose wood - wait. The server may be a bit busy.

Yes the sever gets busy…They have told me some more updates this weekend for bugs etc…from feedback they get…

I really am looking forward to engraving this. I only have MDF available, but I’ll still give it a try. I’ll post the results as they come off the production line.

Don’t you guys think that the results turn out a bit stark?
To me it almost looks like a pencil drawing.
Look at the hands and fingers.

All I know is what you see and Mr Laser sees are two different perspectives

1 Like

Thanks Jim,
I’m gonna try it today.

@JVL, I don’t think the result is meant to be like the photo. If you want to etch a photo, you may as well convert the original to greyscale and print it.

The results from this site are more like a pen and ink rendering, so there will be sharp lines and it’s possible that some detail may go missing. As a suggestion, try using a colour photo and a greyscale copy. You could get entirely different results.

You could also play with the brightness, contrast and/or sharpness of your original using a free program like Irfanview. Every change you make will produce a different result.

I think you may be right.
Maybe I’m expecting too much.
This is my result.
My wife said it looks like a cartoon.

This is what I get using just Lightburn.
It’s still not as good as Nicky’s but its getting better.
As you can see I’m still struggling with the vertical lines.

I’ve only ever done one etching so I don’t know a great deal about the patterns. In the printing game we called them moire patterns and we resolved the issue by scanning at a 15 or 45 degree angle. I’ve read about your problem several times and there seem to be settings in Lightburn that will fix this. Sorry but I can’t remember where I saw it. Maybe in a Youtube video.

Try this one:

Yes there is a setting where one can set a scan angle.
I didn’t know if it would have an effect or not.
I will try it.
Thank you for the tip.

scanning at angles other than 0 or 90 put a lot of mechanical stress on the gantries and chances of error from the quick stop and goes increases…I have spent countless hours to resolve this issue and have posted results and corrections here…
https://www.facebook.com/notes/eleksmaker-led-discussion/those-pesky-linescanvasbanding-issueseffects/536922996958721/

I’ve been having a heck of a time trying to laser a very old mostly white/light b&w with some black areas. This might help. Thanks for the link!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.