Trying to cut an Image and this happened…

[

So Im only a few days in and have so much to learn. I tried cutting this cross and it well one did not cut ( obviously I have settings off for cut.) and 2 its not symmetrical. I bought the file from Etsy it came with multiple formats I chose to use lightburn 2? Also for reference Im using a sculpfun S9. Im not even sure where to begin.
Ive had no luck in searching this issue. Any help is welcomed.

Would probably need to see the file.

The S9 is a 5W-class machine, yes? Not exactly a cutting machine. What are your wood specs? Regardless, you’ll want 100% power at a very slow speed and most likely multiple passes.

The geometric error is either something loose (belt/pinion/coupler), or something crashed or bound up. Wires pulled taught/tangled, gantry or laser hit fixturing/workpiece/PC/beer mug/etc.
These machines send no feedback to the controller and have low torque so a bind can go unnoticed and loose drivetrain components are extremely common.

The wood is 5mm birch plywood.
Yeah i will try again. I was thinking maybe something related to settings in regards to axis but that makes more sense.

Also when I hit frame and it goes all the way back it huts the bar and stutters? Not sure what thats about?

5mm ply may be possible but it’s going to be a stretch. That’s WAY beyond my experience with my 5W macine. I’d probably ask @nzmerlin or @misken for advice.

The framing issue may be related to homing or coordinate system. Not sure if the S9 has homing switches.

It does not unless added by the owner.
Homing should not be enabled.
Hard limits should not be enabled (requires limit switches).
Enable soft limits.

Good luck with regular plywood. It is unpredictable even on a good day.

That offset in the arms of the cross looks to be way too much to be mechanical. If mechanical, the end point would not meet the start point. I suspect it is a problem with the downloaded file. To make sure, can you upload the LBRN2 file here?

Good point about the ends not meeting. I overlooked that!

So what I did was reduce the height of the cross to 415mm. The original did not exceed 450 which is my max. However the laser when it gets as far is it can go the guides hit a screw on the legs and made it stop and stutter. It cut through the 5mm plywood with ease.

Glad to hear this. A Radio Amateur is sending me some that size to test cutting call signs in it. I tried some 3/8" bamboo where 7 passes made it thru, but I was not happy with the final result. I will stick with the thin stuff and use super glue if I need thicker material.

Can you share the feeds and speeds (speed/power/passes) and your laser wattage for the plywood?
?

I try to keep my cut/vector designs a minimum of 5mm from the edges and raster jobs at least 15mm in X due to overscan. Any large jobs (approaching full bed size in any axis), I also frame the extents several times making SURE it frames without any snags or hitches. The machine has most of the kinks worked out so fixturing is usually my downfall. Especially if I have to force something flat with half a dozen clamps and also have to run my head low (thick material). I sometimes have to move clamps around strategically and use rubber band framing to help get them to a safe spot. If I can frame it, I usually don’t have trouble running the job.

As a troubleshooting exercise, you can make a design with a simple rectangle (or any other shapes) at/near bed maximum and set it to run multiple passes at 0% power while you loom over it watching and listening for any trouble parts or areas.

1 Like

You can see the overscan relative to your defined work area in the preview with show transversal move enabled. This should alleviate any controller gripes if it fits within the work area in the preview.

:smile_cat:

1 Like

I was using 5mm birch and i believe speed was 220 and power was 70 or 80

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.