Turning on extractor and air assist based on project start/stop

Hi all!

Currently our extractor and air assist basically run all day, and I was wondering if there’s a way of turning them on and off based on a job being started?

I seem to remember this being mentioned before, but not really a clue on how to go about doing it

The short answer is yes. Most folks who are running dual air assist use “status” for low pressure air, and “wind” for high pressure air. There are a number of guides on how to do this. You will need to set “enable air-assist output” to true in vendor settings. I use “status” to trigger a relay that controls a 24V solenoid which opens when an engrave job starts, and “wind” to trigger another relay & solenoid when I’m cutting and need high pressure (“wind” is activated by clicking “air” in the cuts/layers window). You could use “status” to trigger a relay that turns your extractor on at the start of a job, the problem with that is it would shut the extractor off as soon as the job was done. Care needs to be taken when putting relays on these two controls, the relays I use are opto-isolated and I’m using the active low from status and wind as triggers and not to power the relays or solenoids (although some folks do, I’m just more comfortable not). Just my 2 cents, and I’m sure others will chime in.

1 Like

Thanks. I think that all makes sense.

Do you think something like this would work?

https://cpc.farnell.com/k2audio/kps1/iot-ac-powerswitch/dp/AV30402?mckv=s_dt|pcrid|224692360954|kword||match||plid||slid||product|AV30402|pgrid|48619599498|ptaid|pla-371740794875|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING-945655906-48619599498-AV30402&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!224692360954!!!network}!371740794875!&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw5ImwBhBtEiwAFHDZx7KkSZU16rkco5rIdwDE84tzFDZWV-hr_TabykFiWAmHAV_hOAJeRBoC2rMQAvD_BwE

I have a ssr from Amazon that switches my fan… when this was taken it also supplied main voltage to the original aquarium pump.

Should work with your system.

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Ah, I see.

Is the mains being fed from the lasers psu?

Just connected to the machines input from the house mains.

If you need it outside the cabinet, you can draw power externally and switch it…

The problem with my OMTech is that it’s 120V and the current it draws is near the e-switch limit… you’re using 240V, so you’re drawing 1/2 the current.

Either way you should have a good idea of how much current you’re expecting and make the proper adjustments. Both of my devices were inside the case and originally supplied by the standard mains input.

Good luck

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.