Two Different Computers Two Different Results Same File

Finally trying to get my second comp older Macbook Pro to be the machine that runs my LM2 Pro and LM3. That way I can design on my newer comp. Same file for cutting doesn’t even get thru 1/8”. Looks to be same size, but is not performing. Would there be some setting or governor that would be restricting power? Terrible engrave, and practically no cutting.

Check S Value Max settings for both devices in Edit->Device Settings. It should be set to 1000 for both machines.

1 Like

In addition to what was offered by @berainlb, inadvertently selecting mm/second instead of mm/minute often creates a speed problem that appears to be a power problem.

The GRBL based laser engravers are programmed to reduce power proportionately to the difference between the max speed settings and a commanded overspeed. With the wrong units everything appears almost identical, but the commanded speeds are 60x faster. This can force the controller to count steps at its maximum rate, well below the unintended unreasonable number caused by misapplied units. This in turn causes the reduction in output power. It’s part of the cornering algorithm in the controller and it messes with folks all the time.

It may not be easily observed as a speed/units problem if the engraver looks ‘fast’ but moves no faster than it’s maximum speed.

In LightBurn, if you click File, and click Save GCode the code will show us what speed and % power is being commanded in the first 15-20 lines of that file. With 2 computers and two engravers this could generate as many as 4 different GCode files but we’d absolutely know what’s going on.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.