UK based Sourcing Aluminium Honeycomb Bed

I’m looking to buy a honeycomb bed (unless there’s a better option?) for my 80w 700x500mm CO2 laser.

Based in the UK - I’m struggling to find a supplier for the correct size. If anyone has a link it would be rather handy?! :sweat_smile::pray:

Thank you for the link Neil, how difficult would this be to cut? I’ve never worked with metal so can’t imagine how to cut this honeycomb down to size? :thinking:

its very thin, and i believe they give details how to open it up and cut it, scissors probably

1 Like

Well that changes things!.. I’ll send them an email - thanks Neil.

Simon.

IMHO honeycomb beds are not the best option. They do reflect when it crosses over a part of the honeycomb. The debris from the laser condenses on the inside of the honeycomb, making them difficult to clean.

Here is a video by Russ Sadler on the dangers of honeycomb beds. Watch it and see if it appies to your situation. I’m sure you can handle the Brit humor :crazy_face:

I removed the honeycomb and the aluminum bars from mine. Went to the local ‘steel’ vendor and ordered a ‘rolled steel plate’ to fit in the ‘hole’ that the honeycomb sat.

If you want good air flow, then you have to set it up above the ‘floor’ anyway, as you saw in the video. Honeycomb seems like it’s the cat’s meow, but I found it a real problem in multiple ways.

Plate in the machine…

You can see the ‘ledge’ it sits on

This shows the magnets I use to lift it 5mm off the bed.

You can use a rag and wipe off the debris that accumulates. Cut a bunch of these…

This was the remains… I use a hand brush to wipe the parts off the table into the trash. They are not littered all over the bottom of the machine.

The residual, used acetone to wipe off the residue.

I have holes for alignment jigs drilled into the sheet. They were marked by the laser and drilled on the press.

I’m sure you’ll like whatever you decide on…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

2 Likes

Hi Jack, thank you for such a detailed reply - I’m going to look at this option now that I am aware of it. I like the no nonsense approach to small offcut pieces and debris, it does sound a lot quicker in regards to the cleandown :ok_hand:

Are there any other pros/cons that you can think of that are worth knowing, between the two options?

We have a steel fabricator across the road from where I spend the day at my 9-5, we have a good relationship with them so will definitely pop in to see what they would charge for something similar!

Would you improve your steel bed in any other ways?

Much appreciated,
-Si

The ‘flatter’ the better.

I have about a .5mm rise in mine, but it’s much less than the honeycomb that was supplied with the machine.

Get as snug a fit as possible for alignment purposes.

I think I will make a couple holes in the frame, outside of the work area. That would give me more area to work with for templates.

You can smell very little ‘residual’ smell in the machine as a vast majority seems to condense on the plate. I clean it out before I put it to bed at night.

If you watch the video, you’ll see that the honeycomb doesn’t move air well inside the comb and you have to block off the area not used or all your ventilation will go around the work piece.

When I cut mdf, like I’ve shown, I use about 30 psi. On small pieces, I use larger magnets to anchor in the desired location.

I sometimes do a lens change if I’m engraving then need to cut it out. The compound engraves the best, but the 2" or 4" cut better.

Good luck

Someone should read the entire information sheet on this company website.

You cut it with a stanley knife.

Thank you Marion, I went direct to technical support earlier today and they advised exactly what you’ve mentioned:

Although the expanded honeycomb foils are thin enough to be cut with sharp shears/scissors, it tends to crush and shred the edges rather than give a neat finish. The neatest finish is to use a fresh Stanley type blade knife with a blade long enough to cut each foil from top to bottom. Use a metal rule and slice each couple of foils in turn working along the metal rule for a straight cut. It might be a bit slow but once you get a rhythm going its not too bad. The blade does need to be very sharp so it slices the foils rather than trying to deform or crush them.

Best regards,
Warren Penalver
Technical Support Assistant

I don’t use it, don’t want to use it why would I need to read the entire sheet??? that’s for the person wanting to use it, I just gave a link and a possibility, not a solution.

I don’t think you have to get all riled up. I was simply making an observation. Have a good day!

I agree with the steel bed option. I started out with honeycomb, then changed to a knife style bed. Eventually got fed up with the rear burn marks and the inability to easily position the work or make riser blocks. Ended up using magnets for both positioning and rising. I found that at 20mm above the bed I get zero rear scorching so no clean up required. Cleaning the bed with Acetone is also easy and as the other user mentioned cleaning up all the little bits is a quick vacuum cleaner away.

Cheers

David

1 Like

The only reason why I want a honeycomb bed is because I cut leather and it can’t be raised with magnets (so steel sheet is not an option) and knife bed doesn’t keep flexible leather straight either.

I looked in europe for a honeycomb… couldn’t find it in the size I needed and eventually got so frustrated that I ordered a custom size from cloudray.

Makes 100% sense… Too bad you’re not closer, I’d give you mine :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you ever stop by in the Netherlands, let me know :wink:

Hello

I am in uk and using the aliminuim honeycomb from this company
It is quite tricky to expand and get the propper shape honeycomb.
Once expanded i found cutting one honeycomb cell at a time with a stanley knife worked well.
You need to press down on each section rather than drawing the knife towards you.
On problem i have is that it does not sit completely flat so i use some heavy square washers to hold my plywood down, this flattens the slight warp in the bed.
I get no burn marks under my work with air assist
The aliminum can be quite reflective so take care of your eyes
I use the 10mm which is hard enough to expand so no need for any thicker.
All the best
Extall

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, it’s much appreciated :+1:

Si.