Updated Lightburn and now I can't connect my sculpfuns9 [manually or automatically]

I use my macbook pro latest ventura software. And I just updated to the latest lightburn version. And now nothing works anymore ;(.
I have a connection failed problem. Reinstalled the latest drivers for mac - restarted both computer and laser - many times - bought a new golden usb-c to usb-b cable.
Any one with a golden tip.??

Have gone back to the previous version of LightBurn and verified it still works?

no - I did not do that while normally newer software works better ; )
But maybe you are right and I should try that…

and now I did…
With no luck at all.

so something else changed… maybe some system service changed which messed up the USB connectivity.

Does your device option look correct in the LightBurn Device setup?

device option look. What do you mean by this exactly?

In the Laser tab( right hand side, often on the lower half ) there’s a Devices button and next to it is the serial port selection followed by the firmware selection. Is your serial port and firmware selection consistent with what you had before it stopped working?

Then again, your headline to the problem indicates you have tried both automatically finding your laser and manually selecting the laser so maybe the next thing to look at is that driver installation or better, what does your laser do when you power it on without your computer even connected? Is it supposed to go to the home position automatically and does it still do that? My Orture diode laser will automatically go to the home position on power-up and it’s a good way to know your machine and power supply are working.

Here is a guide for Mac setup step-by-step. It also shows how to check the serial port you need to connect to: Setting up the software - Diode Laser Wiki

1 Like

I found a video too: Setting Up Your SCULPFUN Laser With LightBurn & First Project - YouTube

next to devices I do have that button. It gives me 3 options:
(choose) [ that does nothing ]
cu.BLTH [ i remembered using that one al the time before
cu. Bluetooth-incoming port [ Bluetooth does not make sense here]
None of them have any firmware mentioned next to them.

My sculpfun had never the option ticked to go back to the home [ while it makes no sense for me while I work from the 0,0 point of the object rather then the 0,0 home position.

I can check on that box for the sculpfun and then it would work but not at the moment of course while the port is blocked.

those both look like Bluetooth devices so the problem seems to be with the OS recognizing the USB port. First, I would see if there is any way to verify your machine is powering up and functional. This is why I brought up auto-homing since for me and Ortur users it provides a means of knowing the machine is powered up and there’s enough power to drive the motors to the home switches.

So see if there’s a way to figure out if it’s powered up and AFTER it has powered up, connect the USB cable to your computer and look at the system logs or hardware list to see if it recognized the USB connection. If you have a USB hub, it might be worth trying that as it should show you the hub connection in your OS hardware device list which validates your USB port is still functional.

I tried to release the usb port by connecting another device [ ssd drive ] to it.
That drive was recognised immediately.
Then I connected the laser to another MacBook I have.
Downloaded the light burn software. [ without installing the drivers]
There I got the [ usbserial - 1430 ] port option
And that is what I used before and it worked on that Mac with the laser
[ I could move it - fire it etc ] so the laser cables etc are fine.
So I have the feeling that installing the latest driver pack blocked somehow this
[ usbserial - 1430 ] port option.
How now to remove this driver pack or install the usbserial 1430?

good job troubleshooting and as you mention, it’s now time to figure out how to remove whatever serial port driver(ch340?) was installed before and go with the one which you had before and worked with the other Mac machine.

Post what you figure out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.