Use text to cut out of image

Hi, I’m trying to use text to cut out words on an image so the xtool D1 won’t engrave where there is text, instead using negative space. I’m guessing the cut shapes tool is my best bet, but I’m having trouble getting it to work.

First I select the image, then select the text, then choose cut shapes tool. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes one letter of the full text is cut and sometimes the images dissappears. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong, but it seems like this is possible. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

cut shapes tool doesn’t yet support images

If you follow the rules it seems to work… Problem with text, needs to be a closed path…

Did this with the H character on an image.

Or I’m missing what they are trying to do…

:smile_cat:

Thanks. What exactly is a closed path? One letter of text appears to be a closed path, but would a five letter word be a closed path? Thanks.

Closed shape (or path) is where the start and end points are the same.

To ‘fill’ something, it must be ‘closed’ or the fill ‘leaks’ out where it’s not closed… It won’t fill.

Most of the operations, such as boolean usually require the cutting (or boolean) operation needs the complete shape to work.

You have to work with it… I wish I could make it more clear…

You may have to use a font, one character at a time and ‘connect’ them…

I used ‘Hello’ converted each character to a path. Take two characters and slide them together and a boolean. Boolean operations operate on only two objects. Repeat for all the characters.

Note that if there are characters with holes in the center like a P, if selected, you won’t have access to cut option.

Depending on how much lettering you have to do, might not be worth it…

Maybe one of the creators will give a quick way to handle it…

I did this with it…

Good luck

1 Like

Here is a good video to show how to accomplish what you are after. Look to ‘Image Mask’ using your text.

Thanks for that…

That’s one of the issues with Lightburn. It’s do many things so simply, sometimes I just complicate it…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.