USGS topo map using white tile method

I will say the white tile method using a CO2 laser has been a lesson in patience on a totally different level. Probably the toughest method I have tried in ten plus years of engraving…at least to get consistent results.
I will say thanks to Oz for pointing out, to another post, to double check the parallel of the tile across the entire laser bed. Never double checked this and found out that even just a 1mm difference causes those very annoying streaks that just pop up. Should have figured that one out as I knew even just a very small change in power density per CM squared makes a huge difference in the burn image.
Anyway I do sell the tiles and have sold quite a few in different styles not just maps. I try to stay in images with limited shading and simple vector stuff is easy. This map was for a local customer and is on an 8x14 inch white tile. Yep…6 hours to burn it in. Such a long time to wait and keep looking going…no streaks…no streaks…no streaks. Hey…no streaks…Oz was right…go figure.
Obviously the yellow in the center is just reflection. The customer loved it. I was glad it was done.
Seems right now on my 50 watt Orion Tech laser that I can get good results at 40-50mm a sec at 14.5%-15.5% power. I have run as slow as 30 mm sec but the time it takes…oh man.

1 Like