Using a 12V Laser on the 24V Ortur Laser Master Pro 2

Hello!

I have the 24V version of the Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro S2. I like the idea of trying to upgrade the laser to a non-Ortur laser like one of the dual-beam NEJE lasers with more output power, but they are all 12V units.

Presumably you can run dedicated 12V power to the laser, but I’m not sure about the control line. Does anyone know what the 24V board uses for the laser power level control signal? I used a multimeter between Ground and the Signal pin on the wire for the laser (while it was unplugged from the laser), then tried increasing the laser output power using Lightburn, but I never got a reading higher than ~0.6 V at 20% power. I figured if it were PWM it should have been higher?

Does anyone have experience with this kind of upgrade, or with the signal line, on the 24V unit?

Cheers!

RPG

Don’t know how the hardware on you machine works, but in general this is how the led modules you buy are configured.

Your pwm output is probably a ttl compatible voltage. In a nutshell 0 to 5 volts. You should be able to measure the pwm and get 2.5v at 50% power, 100% power 5v. It’s actually the rms value since it is pulsating dc.

Purchased led lasers usually have a power source, ground and a pwm input.

Generally you can mount the laser with an external supply, both grounded and drive the laser with the existing pwm signal from the control board. The signal is relative to 0 if it’s a common ground.

My little cnc used 24v for it’s motherboard and the laser required 12v at 4 amps, either way I needed an external power supply.

@OrturTech can probably clarify anything for you…

Make sense?

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

This is correct
The OLm2 pro CAN - depending on firmware version run on 12v power adapter but is strongly discouraged.

The colour code at the end of the laser cable that connects to the laser is as follows
RED = 24v
Black - Grnd
White - PWM

So if using a neje, you can use their supplied little input board they provide
From the laser cable from ortur, gently free and remove the metal pin from the white socket of the red cable, then bend it back and eletric tape the red cable. Dont want 24v loose (removing therefore the 24v)
And apply in their little board the 12v power adater from neje

Should be fine.
Of course both neje and ortur will tell you will be flying at your own risk.
NEVER… run 24v to a 12v module. The fan at least will die instantly.
The reverse is unhealthy too but less dramatic

2 Likes

Thanks, don’t have one of those. I could provide basic information only.

Thanks for jumping in… Hope you had a nice Turkey day :turkey:

2 Likes

Amazing replies – thank you both very much. I love this community! :slight_smile:

RPG

Use a Pi for the lightburn bridge. :slight_smile:

If this solves your issue mark it… solved

Take care, have fun…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.