Using Alt key to centre and align objects

Referring to: While dragging to draw, move, or scale objects, holding Alt will produce alignment guides for edges and midpoints of existing objects.

I have noticed that when I use this feature to draw a hexagon shape (for example) The edge of the hexagon does not line up properly with the centre of the selected object, but rather sits a little (about 4mm) above or below the centre line.

Am I using the command incorrectly or is there a problem using such shapes.

Jeremy Willson

Can you create an example of what you’re seeing? A screenshot would be nice.

I can’t recreate what you’re describing and can’t correlate your description to anything recognizable.

With the cursor using the centre of the circle and the alt key being held down, I tried to create a hexagonal shape that was centered.
I included a tool line to show the centre line of the circle.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 115332
As you can see, the hexagon is offset relative to the circle.
Both top and bottom.

What version of LightBurn are you running?

Can you upload the .lbrn file here for review?

What may be happening is that the geometric edge of the hexagon may be snapping to the centerline rather than the visual edge. Try converting the hexagon to a path and retry. Does that allow for proper alignment?

I put the centre line in afterwards to show where the middle was.
I cannot convert the hexagon to a path and then use the same drawing tool to adjust it.
I can of course adjust the size of the hexagon when I convert it to a path, but that defeats the purpose of the tool.
In any event, I was just trying different drawing techniques and discovered what seems to be a bug.
Version 1.5.06

I think you may be misunderstanding what I’m saying. The geometric size of a polygon primitive is based on the circle that circumscribes every point of the polygon. I was thinking it might be the edge of that circumscribing circle that is being picked up. However, I cannot recreate that so not sure.

Try rotating the hexagon by 90 degrees so that you have points at the top and bottom and try it. Does the alignment behave differently?

I didn’t understand but I do now. The answer is no, it still remains the same.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 135103

Although this one is very close to being correct.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 135346

I managed to draw a circle around the hexagon, and it looks like you are totally correct. The circle nicely connects to the centre line.

This however is not what I require of the drawing, so I would still adjudge it to be a bug.

A clearer drawing.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 141025

At least that explains it. I have mixed feelings about the behavior. In one way the current behavior is consistent across polygon types and makes certain operations more predictable across the application. The fact that you can get around this by converting to a path to me negates any real disadvantage. However, there’s definitely many cases where this is not intuitive or obvious what’s happening.

Let’s ask @Rick to comment.