Using LightBurn for image cutting

Hi,
I’ve watched your 3rd toturial about using LightBurn for image cutting.
And I didn’t really understand what the differences are between engraving an image or cutting an image. Where should I specify the system that I want to CUT the image and not bust to engrave.
It is only the “fill” or “line” specifications?
Can you help?
Thanks.

Some of these terms are being used loosely… cut and burn are sometimes intermixed in the general sense to mean any laser operation.

However, when used in a specific context cutting means a cutting operation where the laser is being used to physically split a material down the laser path.

Engraving has the least general meaning and means to remove the surface layer of the material without cutting through to the other side. It’s often used in the context of “engraving” metal with a diode laser but that’s not really true engraving. That’s more of a permanent discoloring process.

In relation to LightBurn cut setting operations… a fill is used to burn the positive portion of a design and has an area greater than 0. This is often used for engraving purposes. I’ve never heard of a fill being used to purposefully cut a material. A line operation means the laser will trace a nearly infinitely thin line along the design but nowhere outside the line. These operations are often used for cutting but can also be used for a thin line when engraving. In reality, fill operations are nothing more than multiple line operations done very close together and in a regular pattern.

1 Like

Hi, Thanks berainln and JMichael

If I understood. “LINE” meaning thar this layer is for cutting. So, I must find out what is the correct Max. power and Speed that will do the job? Is this correct?

Or, is there any data base for each material that says what are the correct definitions for cutting?

Thanks again.

Hi JMichael,
I’ll try it and let you know.
Thanks for your kind help.
Really appreciate it.

@richfaraone has been sharing his material library here.
Material Library for Atomstack A5 Pro - LightBurn Software Questions [OFFICIAL] - LightBurn Software Forum

Keep in mind that this is only a reference. All lasers will have different characteristics as will every batch of material so you’ll need to find a method to learn/understand the characteristics of new materials with your particular laser.

I encourage you to get comfortable with one of the test patterns available and build that out for your various materials.

Thanks, and you are correct! These libraries are manufacturer settings and literally change with the weather. I also have a universal test card in a Lightburn file in the download section with several separate tests. Pairing the two, installing the library and using the test file on the material you’re about to use will ensure success.

Rich

1 Like

If you engrave letters then I am sure you see that most text letters are outlined … not a single line.
Cut (line) will engrave the outline leaving the insides untouched.
Fill will only darken the area inside the lines. You can set the lines per mm for this.
Cut and fill will do both … darken the inside and engrave the line around the darken area.

Draw a circle.
Fill will engrave the circle with closely spaced lines … you can set the lines per mm or inch.
Cut will engrave the outside edge of the circle only.
Cut and fill will do both.

Hope this helps explain the differences.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.