UV and weather resistant

I am looking for a material that would be good for an outdoor signage Letters.
I know acrylic would work but am wondering what other more affordable options may be out there.
Thanks

Maybe take a look at PETG (polyethylene terephthalate glycol). It is said to be much more durable (impact resistance especially) than acrylic while also holding up well to UV. But I have not tested it myself or verified what I have read.

http://www.plasticsmag.com/ta.asp?aid=4770

I use pvc decking material for a lot of my signs. It is a bit pricey but will last forever. You can find it in different big box stores in sheets or you can by it in different widths like lumber.

You will destroy your machine and possibly your health by using PVC (or other materials containing organic halides):

• Sodium chloride (NaCl)
  • Potassium chloride (KCl)
  • Potassium iodide (KI)
  • Lithium chloride (LiCl)
  • Copper(II) chloride (CuCl2)
  • Silver chloride (AgCl)
  • Calcium chloride (CaCl2)
  • Chlorine fluoride (ClF)
  • Bromomethane (CH3Br)
  • Iodoform (CHI3)
  • Hydrogen chloride (HCl)

Halogen refers to those elements in the seventeenth column of the periodic table, fluorine (F), chlorine (Cl), bromine (Br), iodine (I), and astatine (At). Halogenated refers to a chemical compound or mixture that contains halogen atoms. And finally, halide refers to the monoanionic (one negative charge) form of a halogen atom, specifically, fluoride (F-), chloride (Cl-), bromide (Br-) and iodide (I-).

Examples of Fluoropolymers and Chloropolymers to avoid include:

• PVC
  • Neoprene
  • Chlorinated Rubber
  • Chlorinated Polyethylene (UV Resistant???)
  • Teflon
  • Tefzel
  • Halar
  • CTFE
  • Tedlar
  • Kynar

When heated, pvc releases chlorine gas. This gas is toxic and poses a health risk as well as being very corrosive and harmful to your laser.

Sorry i use it with my cnc not the laser.

Oh good! I’ll just keep the info available for anyone who may stumble on to this in the future… oh wait, no one uses search. :crazy_face:

I should have been clearer about how i was using it. Good job though.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.