UV laser glass engraving tips (cannot get it to work)

Hello all,

I love experimenting with machines and after getting a lot of hours on my CO2 I recently purchased a UV laser (5W).

Everything seems to work out for me (alu, steel, wood, plastic) but glass just does not want to work out for me. I first went the material test route and tried to get it done that way. None of the frequencies seem to work. I tried finding information on settings for a UV laser, but also no success. I set Q-pulse to 1 and frequency to random frequencies and tried getting it done that way, that also did not work. Tried other drinking glasses, nope.

Glass just doesn’t want to engrave for me :crazy_face:

Since I am probably doing something wrong or missing information, I thought I might ask you guys if you have any input before I pull my hair out :rofl:

Any feedback and input is greatly appreciated

Use 1ns Pulse and 50khz frequency.
Just play a bit with focus height, glass is very focus sensitive.

Thanks a lot for the guideline!
Do you also have a guideline for speed?

Thanks again!

Try like 800mm/s

Thanks for the information.

I have spent quite some hours today trying to find the best focus height and I then even played around with frequency and q-pulse. It just doesn’t seem to work out for me.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Is there something obvious I am missing?
Do you want me to share device settings / layer settings? Does that help?

I also have a lens with a big working area. (300x300). Is that maybe the problem?

Yes this will be a problem, get a 110x110 lense and you will be happy.

This did the trick! Thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like

Not for that, happy engraving =)

Hi
Did you manage to get your UV working OK with glass in the end?
We managed to get good results with leather, pu leather, wood and a few plastics.
Would you mind sharing some tips on your settings for Alu and steel please?
Thank you

Hello. My UV marking machine engraves well on metal, plastic and other materials. Even on flat glass I can achieve some good results. But marking on cylindrical glasses does not work. In some places it turns out deeper, in others it doesn’t burn through at all. I’m desperate. Maybe you have some recommendations?