VEVOR Fume Smoke Extractor

Just received this and tried it out. I’m very impressed. Makes short work of keeping the garage from filling up with smoke when cutting basswood.

2023-12-23_16-16-30

It seems impossible to buy replacement filter elements for any of the readily available extractors.

For example, what looks like the Official Vevor site doesn’t carry replacement elements for a similar filter:

They do tout “up to 10000 hour life” for the filters, though I’d take that number with a generous shake of salt.

@ednisley seems to be on track with replacement filters… Even the commercial ones used by hobbiests seem to be very expensive and only last a month or two… Some people have put a filter in before it to try and extend life…

Keep in mind these clear smoke or particulates, not the gases produced … if you cut something that produces toxic gases, they don’t filter gasses out.

:smile_cat:

This is what I use and filters are available, I am aware of gases and I do not cut/engrave anything that produces toxic fumes. This is a really great machine, even better when you get it on sale.

Omtech sells a replacement filter set that looks like it would fit this machine. I checked the dimension and this would fit. The air purifier also comes with 4 extra stage 1 filters

. Replacement Filter Set for XF180 Fume Extractors, Box Style Air Purifi – OMTech Laser

The ad for the VEVOR says it traps harmful gasses.

That’s encouraging, although having to buy replacements from somebody else seems odd.

Given that the rest of the extractor is a box and a fan, it’s only mildly surprising the filter elements cost half as much as the whole thing!

Is there any indication of when to change the filters?

A pressure sensor or air flow indicator would show the first-stage dust filter has clogged and your nose would likely be the sensor for the charcoal filter. :grin:

The add says.

• Smart Filter Alert: No more guessing when to replace the filter! With a filter life of up to 10,000 hours, you won’t be changing it frequently. And when it’s time for a change, a friendly beep will let you know. Less hassle, more convenience!

Sounds like a plan!

Until then, good breathing to you …

:grin:

Yea, right… how many people replace their tube before 10k hours… I’ve heard this :poop: before.

Like my 50W OMTech machine, that wasn’t 50W.

I’ve talked too and heard from many people with these type machines complaining about such a short usage period before having to replace an expensive filter.

I replace the house filter when it starts whistling… :crazy_face: Maybe that’s the clue :thinking:

I vent it outside…

:smile_cat:

I’m sure that as a solder fume extractor, the mass of smoke absorbed is far less than as a wood smoke collector, So the 10,000 hours might reduce to 100 hours of wood cutting smoke removal…

Sounds reasonable, which means the element cost rounds off to a bit over a buck an hour.

Ouch!

I decided I wanted an inexpensive to maintain filter for the Neje Max 4 I bought a month ago but it had to be able to stop the majority of the smell and smoke as well a being able to replace the filters easily, and more importantly, cheaply.
This is what I came up with. It uses the cheapest car air filter I could find, the cheapest car charcoal cabin filter and a sheet style carbon filter that I attach to the exit vent. All were bought for under $12 total Canadian on Amazon.ca. I attach them to slats that can be pulled out. This way, I can buy filters that are on sale and cut slats from 3mm MDF if they don’t fit the existing slats. I have baffles on the intake side so the incoming air is better distributed along the first filter. The square hole in front of the baffle is where I put a 4 in fan in a housing. It is also removable for cleaning and replacement as needed.
Not shown in these pictures is the washable Hepa filter (on sale at Princess Auto) as I didn’t have it when I took the pictures. It is currently installed in the third slot.
I have been using the filter indoors for the past 3 weeks and it is working great. There is no smoke and very, very little smell. There is a fourth slot if I ever decide I need another filter added. L x W x H is 10” x 9” x 14”. It is made from 3mm MDF. Total cost to build was under $45 Canadian - I had to buy a fan, also from Princess Auto but I used an old vacuum cleaner hose I had.
I’ll make the next one look prettier.

4 Likes

Where can I find the cut file for this?

I am in the middle of installing my ‘home made’ smoke removal system. I built a downdraft box below the laser, and it uses 2 Home Depot shop vacs because 1 did not have quite enough pull for the large area of the NEJE 3Max. I am using their HEPA 0.3 micron filters and 2 20ft hoses from the box below the laser to the vacs outside a window above the laser, and then each vac has the normal 7 ft hoses to direct the exhaust farther away from my shop. No smell inside the shop when cutting wood. I am now building a small shed to hold the vacs so I can use them when it is raining.
I took pictures, but can’t figure out how to post them.

If you are making a box yourself, consider the filters for the Coway air filters. They come in sets of HEPA and carbon. Pretty cheap replacements on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-AP-1512HH-AP-1512HH-FP-Purifiers-Pre-Filters/dp/B0BCJX82NG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2RYM6ZCTB10I0&keywords=coway+filter+replacement&qid=1703897541&sprefix=coway%2Caps%2C235&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Maybe I’m missing something, but why filter air you’re dumping outside anyway?

Good Point :slight_smile:

Perhaps the neighbors dislike living next to an incinerator and it’s best not to rile them up. :person_shrugging:

Neighbors… Yeah. I forget some are burdened with those things situated close by. Must be a nightmare for individual liberty. And, apparently, both costly and inconvenient. :grin: