Warbly Fonts when Scoring

My controllers may not be the problem but I still thought I’d ask here.

I have an intermittent problem with text having wavy scoring lines.
We’ve messed with several variables to diagnose it:

• We swapped computers on one 644XS laser.
  • We created new files using different fonts.
  • We tried different lasers with the same controller.

About the only conclusions we came to were that we couldn’t isolate it and, worse, it was intermittent. The problem would be exhibited then later it would be fine and yet later would reappear. So you can see what the problem looks like I’ve attached some images below.

Does this look familiar to anybody? Suggestions?

Try tightening the belts a little, looks like belt bounce. You could also lower the acceleration settings in the controller.

Make sure your mirrors and lens is seated properly too.

Good suggestions and I’ll do both again but remember it’s intermittent.
Same file within minutes will cut perfectly or be a wavy mess.
Will keep testing to isolate what the problem source is.

That’s mechanical, for sure, and on the Y axis. You can tell from the 4 - the line was run clockwise, and as it traced upward from the left side of the lower stem and changed direction the gantry bounced, and produced the wave pattern visible along the horizontal line.

When you say it’s intermittent, does the same job run multiple times in a row not always exhibit the issue? If not, then I’d say you have a rail that’s loose on one side of the machine, but not the other, possibly? See if the problem is worse on the left or right, as that could indicate one side being the issue. You might have a pinion set-screw loose on the belt on one side of the Y, or the coupling shaft that connects the two sides.

That’s mechanical, for sure, and on the Y axis. You can tell from the 4 - the line was run clockwise, and as it traced upward from the left side of the lower stem and changed direction the gantry bounced, and produced the wave pattern visible along the horizontal line.

We’ve speculated as much but your directional analysis confirms.
The intermittent nature may be bed-region related.
We’ll check as we continue analyzing.

When you say it’s intermittent, does the same job run multiple times in a row not always exhibit the issue? If not, then I’d say you have a rail that’s loose on one side of the machine, but not the other, possibly? See if the problem is worse on the left or right, as that could indicate one side being the issue. You might have a pinion set-screw loose on the belt on one side of the Y, or the coupling shaft that connects the two sides.

More things to consider. Good!
I’ve not run the tests but I’ve been told
“intermittent when running the same files.”

That said, Pat has a systematic mind and I trust his methodology.

Regardless, we’ll add these ideas to the list for investigating. Thanks, Travis

An update on what we’ve learned …

The physical Y-axis was not the issue (though we tightened belts and linear rails anyway). We found that any LightBurn file created on a specific computer created files which ran warbly on any of our laser cutters. The same design created on any other copy of LightBurn ran just fine on all machines. Our solution will be to format the computer, reinstall Windows 10 and LightBurn and verify that all is well.

Something was wrong with that Windows environment.
LightBurn files made on it had an embedded problem.
What ever the problem followed the LightBurn files.

Odd, but all we care is that it gets fixed.

Cheers, Travis

That is very strange. Before doing a system wipe, it might be worth just doing a cut settings reset, or a full settings reset.

To reset the cut settings:

• Create a simple design, with the black color layer. Double click to enter the settings. Click the ‘Reset to default’ button on the bottom.

• Exit the settings window

• With that black layer selected, click here:

• Then go through each color, assigning the shape to one color at a time, and clicking this other button to reset all layers to the settings you just cached:

This will reset all the cut layer settings to default but will keep everything else - device profile settings, user settings, etc. (sorry I don’t have a simpler way to do this)

If that doesn’t work, do this:

• Run LightBurn
  • Click File > Open prefs folder
  • Quit LightBurn
  • Delete the prefs.ini file and the backup

That will wipe all settings back to their startup defaults. You’ll need to re-create the device, but that would tell us if it was a settings issue in LB or something else on that computer, and if it works, will take a lot less time than a full machine restore.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.