Wavy line beginning of cut x axis

If you are still having issues…as @berainlb suggested - a good test to check the stability of the laser module mount would be to move the laser module up a decent amount e.g. an inch or so and retighten it then prop your cardboard up by the same amount, run the same test, then see if there is a marked improvement?

Thanks for all the replies. this last test was run with the cardboard blocked up one inch from the original video as I wanted to raise up the module to see if being lower in its travel was causing this.
As to berainlbs questions
1.start of the line burn
2.the tails are at the start of the burn… test started lower right corner
3. the test is a square probably my camera work
4. yes it appears to be as the laser transitions to horizontal moment
to Colin
as described in earlier posts I have pushed pulled yanked and remounted module as well as checked grubs multiple times
Jim
this is one I haven’t tried yet I will check this out when I get back to laser
thank you all for your time I will be home tonight and will try any suggestions

this afternoon I took the x axis apart completely checked wheels they look good with a tiny bit of wear
rebuilt readjusted and did a test with the exact same results as before leading me to believe It might be the stepper motor. I did loosen the coupler and did a full reset on the y axis. It seemed to help a little but problem is still there
This problem also showed up as i was setting up a little rotary and struggled with test burns so I think that takes the y out of play. I am running out of ideas

Thanks

Hi I think you might have a pendulum effect going on with the laser head. Is it by any chance hanging with most of its mass below the X rail ? Try raising the laser head up so it’s body is more centered with the rail, then raise your work piece up to get it back in focus range.

it is below the x rail but very similar distance to the original setup very solid mount completely on backing plate but I will try raising it way up tomorrow and see how it goes…

thanks

In this round of testing I propped the work piece up and raised the module way up in the mount to see if that would help… zero change … I also did a test burning a line from a dead stop across the x axis and that line came out perfect… so the problem is when it changes direction i am not sure what to try next
any Ideas?

thanks all

Whatever the flex is it seems to be isolated to Y-axis movement. Do you have a different laser module you could test in the same mount?

I can say that the problem is much less pronounced now but still visible. I changed $1 to 25 on a suggestion from another forum it seemed to make little change. I am unsure of what changes have helped the mos
I don’t have a module that i could install without changing some wiring and mounts but I have been tempted to try it. not sure of my next move but will keep you all posted

Well I have it running pretty good and the best I can tell it was eccentrics plus raising up the module seemed to do the trick. No miracle you all have been leading me there all the way I learned a lot trying to get this right and want to thank all for your help!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.