What controller to pick for a CO2 machine?

hi all –
I finally managed to finish a DIY K40 build & the frame is large enough to accommodate a larger tube in the future.

I’m now looking for a proper controller – Ruida seems to be THE choice for CO2 lasers, and I’m just wondering about alternatives. Price is not the deciding factor. I’m mostly interested in a set-it-and-forget-it solution, but I’m familiar with GRBL and Arduino from other projects.

All that said, GRBL is out, the Mini Gerbil is out, as I will need Z capability and would eventually add a rotary unit. Cohesion and Super Gerbil bring me almost into Ruida territory price-wise… Which leaves me with Smoothie SKR 1.3 vs Ruida. What’s my best option here?

thanks
Markus

The Ruida is a DSP controller and the best if price is not an option. The Ruida takes advantage of everything LB has to offer. No fiddling with G-code

A fine alternative to a DSP that meets your requirements is the Cohesion controller:

Cheapest solution with same possibilities like Cohesian 3D would be the MKS SBase V1.3 by the use of GrbL LPC. You will have the possibility of having 4 axes (X,Y,Z, and rotary) and even have one on top. The main processer is a little bit slower than the Cohesian, but that doesn’t make any real difference.

I bought the last MKS SBase for roughly 23€ (USD 27)…
In my opinion the best price / performance option.

Nevertheless, if money is not the limiting factor, I would still (and did) go for a Ruida.

1 Like

thank you. I was thinking about this solution also. Processing power seems to be sufficient for my needs & I might just funnel the funds into a better cooling system and upgrade to a Ruida later.

question – who is the maker/seller of your board?
I read somewhere about issues with some boards not firing the laser due to voltage inconsistencies.
thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.