What is the best kind of focusing lens

Which is exactly why I looked for such a head. What he has is pretty unique. With the example I provided, I was thinking he could transfer / drill the holes into the new head in order to be able to mount it up to that plate attached to the bearings / belt. The rest of the mount (on that new head example) would go unused.

Agree and good point on the tube diameter. Yes. Check that and if possible, just order a replacement tube. I have three tubes myself. I keep them loaded with different focal length lenses!

Link to where I bought my extra lens holders:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33028077061.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.10d84c4dQYK28R

If I acquired one of these II-VI infrared meniscus lenses for my red-and-black 80W laser, would I really notice a substantial difference?

If I bought a compound engraving nozzle set like Grumpy sells for my red-and-black 80W laser, would I really notice a substantial difference?

I bought a 2 inch focal length meniscus lens for my Boss 60 watt and to be honest I was not able to tell any real difference. I am sure the dot size, when perfectly focused was slightly smaller than the convex Plano lens. But for normal cutting and engraving it was not noticeable better.

I guess if I was doing photos on tile it would give a slightly better image but I do not create many photos.

@Allen I agree with you fully in regards to cutting and normal non photo engraving.

However… The compound lens set-up in question excels at engraving photo images that have proper file manipulation for laser output(not just greyscale conversion) and a dpi output based on fine tuning after adjustments made as a result of a test pattern output.

A good eye loupe is necessary during the adjustment process.

My 2 cents worth

To be clear I was not saying anything about the compound lens system, I have never tried a compound lens on my laser. I was taking about a single meniscus lens. I have no doubts that a quality compound lens system will allow a much smaller focal spot and therefore a higher DPI.

1 Like

One more thing to mention.
The material that is engraved has to “hold/show the dot”

Best material for a photo is anodized aluminum, laserable plastic , or brass plated steel.

Wood is not the greatest for photo engraving and that is the medium everyone wants to photo engrave on.

Material we engrave on is critical to our desired output. I have observed many that expect perfection from a precision laser when engraving photographs.
The same people do not take into account many variables such as: air assist, burn haloes of the dot, etc…even the wood category is all different.

Walnut will not burn like Cherry and most definitely not like the sap laden pine.

Cheers

Sas

Whether or not you tell a substantial difference will be determined by the quality of lens you’re currently using. II-VI lenses are of the highest quality, so there is no hoping or guessing games. I never knew what I would be getting when I was ordering lenses of random origin.

A good quality meniscus lens like an II-VI will certainly make your machine feel more powerful if you’re accustomed to an inferior lens. For $30, try one out and see what you think.

It will cost me $ 110.00 for a ll-Vl meniscus lens I called them.

Maybe you were quoted for a single lens at a premium cost for direct to consumer? I have not purchased a lens directly from them. I have just used Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/High-Power-Laser-Lens-IIVI/dp/B01DP2HGYM/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=CNCOLETECH&qid=1584930376&sr=8-12

If you dig deeper and are not in a hurry AliExpress can save you even more “dead presidents”

Cheers

Sas

They have to make one for me that is why it cost so much. I did order a Cloudray CVD ZnSe meniscus Focus Lens 12 mm, but it did not say USA CVD or ll-Vl ??? From China it is taking a long time wonder why I ordered it expatiated HA HA HA.

It must be in quarantine… :sneezing_face: :joy: :rofl:

I have this same set up and it works great. But it makes the focal distance pretty short. This set up makes a big difference and all for the good.

Is that a meniscus lens are a standard type? I could that info in the description.

NO Meniscus is not a standard lens, Plano is the standard type of lens. Plano is convex on one side and flat on the other side. Meniscus is convex on one side and concave on the other side.

It is a meniscus lens. I just ordered the 63.5 lens yesterday to replace my current 63.5 non II-VI lens. Only my 101.6mm lenses are II-VI. See specification in the listing:

That chart is the same for any number of lenses that you can buy from them it does not say what lens you are getting.

I bought and tried a bunch of different types of lenses (but not compound), and there wasn’t much difference between them when cutting 3mm-6mm hardboard and plywood. I ended up keeping the original 63.5 focal length but higher quality lens.

I did some engraving tests, but the laser is too powerful for engraving so they all looked like crap equally.

I’m curious what this laser’s power is (the one that you’ve said is too powerful for engraving).

I’ve read in many places people claiming that a 150W laser tube / machine (like mine) doesn’t engrave well. However, this claim based solely on a laser tube power is heavy handed and disregards optics, stepper / gantry quality, speed / power ratio, laser PSU quality, laser tube brand / quality.

My machine engraves beautifully and easily as good as my former lower power machine.