What's Going On With These "Waiting For Connecton"

Hello, I’ve just started my free LightBurn trial.
I just got the Ortur Laser Master 2 like two days ago.

I like how LightBurn is set up, and there are plenty of great options it seems like.

sometimes when I’m in the middle of burning, say after about an hour my laser will either stop, or I hear the Microsoft Windows device disconnect sound, and the laser returns back to the home position.

Sucks, as I’m in the middle of burning something.

Now sometimes a burn will go through without any problems.

Now when I try to reset the device by right-clicking on the devices tab within LightBurn’s interface, I get that “Waiting for connection” message.

I find that I have to hard reset the machine a few times before things get back to normal.

I’m using LightBurn 0.9.16
Since the Laser Master 2 was shipped, it has the latest firmware according to the manufacturer.

Are these issues normal, I can’t imagine it is, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

There’s a few things that can affect longer jobs - Windows timing out your USB device (common) and cheap cables causing retries.

There’s an article here in the forum that explains how to fix the timeout, and replacing the cable with a decent copper-core with ferrite bead one is ~$20.

Most USB cables use aluminium core, which is rubbish.

Thank you. That makes total sense.
I’m using an extention to help reach my gaming PC.
I’m burning a tile right now, and so far no issues. It’s been about 1.5hrs and going smooth so far.
I’ll change the USB.

Cheers.

If you hear the Windows disconnect sound, it’s most likely a physical issue, either caused by interference or a loose connection. The USB connection / timeout issues that Bo mentions are discussed here:
How to troubleshoot connection issues with USB

Distance is a problem over 2-micron width aluminium cables, especially if regularly connected/disconnected.

Network is best, if available, if not, copper, 26AWG, ferrite beads, stay 5M or below in total, no joins.

Yea thats great advice thanks a lot

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.