White Acrylic engraving and cutting test file

Hello everyone,

I’m not sure if this is the right place for my post, but if it’s not, let the moderators move it to the appropriate location.

Let me introduce myself.
I have a Sculpfun S30 Pro Max 20W diode laser, and I would like to perform an engraving and cutting test on acrylic.
I have searched on Etsy and the internet for a 20W diode laser test file, but unfortunately, I couldn’t find anything.
So I’m wondering if anyone happens to have a test file they could share.

I have performed a test file on plywood directly using the Material Test option in LightBurn.
However, I believe it wouldn’t be a good idea to do the same on acrylic due to the high power involved.

Thank you all in advance.

I have a 7.5W output laser head and have had success cutting black acrylic at 200mm/m with 95% power and 2 passes and engraving using 1000mm/m and 65% power 1 pass. This should give you a starting point.

Bear in mind that diodes will not successfully cut/mark clear or light coloured acrylic.

You can adjust setings on LB material test option to the preferences you desire. Or am i misunderstood your doubt?

I tried with the test material, but before that i painted the back side with a black marker.

This is parameter what I used
IMG-20230523-WA0021

And this is result, the acrylic is completely deformed, I don’t know how much you can see in the picture

I know that I have to adjust the material in Lightburn, but I don’t know what range of power and speed to set without it deforming again like in the last example

Are you aware of the materials test under laser tools in Lightburn?

:smile_cat:

I know that, with help of this option I have done the first photo.
It’s just not clear to me what range of speeds to put, what to put for min and what to put for max :man_facepalming: :man_shrugging:

@Mooseuk gave you some areas to work within…

Bracket the area going from slower to faster and less power to more power…

I’m afraid that this is the hardest part of lasing to deal with, there are so many variable…

I have a pile of scrap pieces… so you’re going to destroy a few…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Iook at this topic. https://forum.lightburnsoftware.com/t/discovering-how-to-engrave-transparent-acrylic-polystyrene-with-a-diode-laser/100242?u=kuth
Is a topic created by me to try engrave polystyrene (very similar to acrylic material) and you see “how easy” as been to do it with a diode led laser. (visible light)
To engrave clear acrylic with diode laser it should be with a UV laser light one. But i can’t help with that kind of laser because i’am only learnig how far i can go with my 40W diode led laser (visible light).

What you trying to achieve is not easy and without lots of tests, settings and patience.
:wink:

1 Like

Thank you, I will take a look and hope it helps me as well as you :smiling_face:

You can design your own test files here: Lightburn PowerScale Generator - O2 Creative
And there is also an interesting video from Sculpfun on how to use a gradient file that really speeds up such tests. I linked it here: Settings guide - Diode Laser Wiki