White haze clear extruded acrylic

Hi,

just received our Ruida controlled 60watt co2 laser. We have used extruded acrylic to make some test cuts and engraves. I know extruded is not the best for engraving but in thes case it works out pretty well.

But here’s the thing: it leaves a white, matt haze around the engraved text. I already made a testsheet which settings where best and this is engraved with 350 speed and 20% power since this was the best result.

What can I do differently to engrave this without the haze?

Thanks!

Wow thank you so much!! Will try it right away!

You can also try masking tape - the haze is from vaporized acrylic that deposits onto the acrylic as it’s being cut. Most acrylics will come with a plastic (usually on extruded) or paper (usually on cast) masking that will help prevent this - though honestly the plastic kind is terrible if you are engraving because it will melt to the acrylic. But you can either use painters tape or buy really wide (like 18-24") rolls of masking tape. I actually use tape that’s sold as “transfer tape” that’s meant for transferring cut vinyl decals - I already had it and it works great.
Anyways, masking the area to be engraved (even on wood) will prevent vaporized material from being deposited onto the sheet in the first place. The downside being you have to potentially turn up your power a bit (since you have to engrave through the tape) and then you have to peel the masking off later which can be a be laborious if you have a complex design.

Cleaning it up after the fact with soap is also totally valid, but if the design isn’t overly “busy” then masking might be quicker. I do both - depends on the design.

1 Like

Thank you for this tip! I definitely want tot try this!

When using a ‘transfer tape’ they can be purchased with low-tact glue, so the tape can be removed with a bit less effort. I have found that duct tape, or any high-tact tape, layered on top of the transfer tape, after the cut has complete, makes the weeding of small pieces process faster. I cut the job using transfer tape, then press down a new layer of high-tact tape over the entire cut surface, then pull that layer, removing the low-tact transfer tape from the material surface. Works a treat for complex cuttings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats a great idea, will definitely remember this! Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.