Who here produces rubber stamps

Not at all. Cuts, engraves the same, the residue feels the same. I suspect it’s just dye between the two.

In Asia the ‘chop’ is still really big, and having a different stamp rubber usually denotes the ‘official’ stamp, rather than the shop floor ones.

I’ll make a couple using both materials and run the same settings to see if there’s really any difference. Now to find the stamp rubber :slight_smile:

@Bonjour

Monday… I will let you know:

Price comparison, this is 432 in², so in total 9.65¢ per in².

An A4 sheet’s area is 96.67 in². That comes to $9.33 (comparing cost of Grainger supplied material). We shall see if it works. If so, know that there is massive savings in bulk rolls or large sheets of this stuff through other distributors. But for testing, over priced Grainger is fast.

Here are some high end hard wood rubber stamp mounts multiple sizes available

I know we can cut our own but these are a faster solution and have. Bevel only the sides for the grip .
https://amzn.to/35t6ZZF

Cheers

Sasquatch

But, as an example: chop saw and done in 1 second (plus 10 seconds to knock off edges with a piece of sand paper. No bevel required. You could make 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 blocks, 24 for $7 (26¢ ea).

This compared to:

If you are a woodworker, I bet you have a router bit that can make the concave finger hold too.

Maple vs. Birch

I do like your solution but to my point I can quickly create(after I get it from Amazon)
12 - 1”x1” stamps for $1.29 each

• Made of maple not birch
  • Pre cut
  • Concave hourglass finger hold
  • Finished no further sanding needed
  • No loss of productivity Do not need to go to the store and buy anything as a result I can be more productive doing something else and that in itself has a huge value.
  • Nothing to clean up

Remember not everyone has a a good miter chop saw worth between $100-400 dollars . Also a really nice blade for finishing another $20-40.

In order to get your return on your investment you would need to cut a lot of stamp blocks so the cost of your first 2”x2” is going to be a hole lot more then $2.00 per block that Amazon want per piece if you buy 8 blocks at once.

@Stroonzo you are correct in your statement that it is cheaper to make your own.

I only need to add an asterisk to your statement because not everyone has the wonderful tools you have which is a huge variable in the output of the stamp.

Cheers

Sasquatch

When you all get your test material and give it a run, please also let us know how bad it smells when you laser it. Some of that really stinks when cut. We are talking “make the neighbors complain” levels.

That’s where the term burnin rubber comes to mind…

Pretty sure it will smell like this photo looks… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reminds me of the old joke about the cost of installing a wood stove to save money on heating bills

Thinking of installing a wood stove?

Accounting of our first year heating with wood:

Stove pipe installation, etc.: 1,500.00
Chain saw: 459.99
Gas & maintenance of chain saw: 46.95
Four wheel drive pickup: 36,999.99
Maintenance on pickup: 200.00
Replace rear window on pickup: 150.00
Replace rear window on pickup: 150.00
Log splitter: 1,495.99
Fine for cutting unmarked trees on State land: 1,500.00
Fourteen cases of Michelob: 363.72
Fine for littering: 350.00
Tow charges for retrieving pickup from creek: 400.00
Emergency room fee from removing splinter from eye: 300.00
Safety glasses: 9.99
Replace living room carpet: 1,395.00
Repaint walls and ceiling: 40.00
Fifteen acre woodlot: 37,500.00
Taxes on woodlot: 950.00
Replace coffee table (chopped up when drunk): 225.00
Divorce settlement: 65,500.00

Total first year cost: $149,536.63
Savings in conventional fuel: -1250.00

Net cost of first year’s wood burning: $148,286.63

You know what you forgot to add to that list @HalfNormal?

The cost of the wood stove…

i have used the orange rubber to make a few stamps and it cut and engraves fine. I would recommend not using air assist as it makes a mess, and expect there to be a bunch of rubber ash that needs to be cleaned up. It is definitely one of the dirtier materials I have engraved. The stamp cleans up well with a nylon brush and some water though.

And like others I too have forgotten to mirror my artwork a few times… You never realize it until the first time you stamp it.

Honestly, dude could have saved $350 if he’d just taken a couple minutes to clean up after himself. No excuse for that.

1 Like

They’re only a faster solution if you live in a country that amazon operates.

For the rest of the 96% of the world, not cheaper, faster or more convenient.

darn… not available in the Netherlands

I bought some of this last year. worked Great
Will buy more of it when needed.
Redsail X700 100w.

Ohhh, look at what I just picked up…

The hardness on this is 40A (which is funny because it feels just like a pencil eraser as compared in the chart):

A Yoga :woman_in_lotus_position: mat?.. LOL :joy:. Ohhh wait I see a Grainger invoice… looking forward to your test run @Stroonzo

Cheers :clinking_glasses:

Sasquatch

I would be curious to. See if it can be used as a :pencil2: eraser and it would actually be able to erase graphite lead from a piece of paper :memo: successfully.

Sas

You always have to love when you’ve not ever done a particular material in the machine and you just throw settings against the wall and see what happens! :slight_smile: