Who owns this $80 book on the business of laser engraving?

I just can’t see this book being worth $80

Here is the description

This is the most comprehensive guide to laser engraving ever written for the awards and personalization industries. It is ideal for anyone who has recently purchased a laser engraver or is looking to purchase one to start a laser engraving business. Written by a 28 year veteran of laser engraving, shop owner, writer and instructor who currently runs CO2 and Fiber lasers on a daily basis, he has incorporated in this book as much knowledge and experience as possible including tons of color photographs, layouts and product ideas. In a single volume, here is everything you need to know to select, install and run a laser engraver. All major brands are included as well as glass tube lasers, metal tube CO2 lasers and fiber lasers. Also included is a complete discussion of the various materials that can be lasered, their sources, advantages and limitations. A list of wholesale suppliers and educational sources are also included. FREE with purchase is online access to his original LASER ENGRAVING DVD (a $59.95 value), CorelDraw instructional videos and more! The author writes monthly articles about laser engraving and related topics for the trade magazine, the Engravers Journal. This book includes recommendations for buying a laser engraver including the features and options available, so you can make the right buying decision. If you already have a laser engraver, there are hundreds of ideas for expanding your engraving business including resources available. Whether you plan to start a home-based business, a storefront or just engrave for fun, this is intended to be your most valuable resource. Because it contains information about all the various materials you can laser engraver and how to do it, what to avoid and shortcuts to make it easier, you will want to keep the 240+ jam-packed pages of information and ideas next to your engraver. Materials included in the manual include wood, acrylic, plastics, leather, metal, films, Rhinestoning, fabric, and many more. This manual includes various projects to help the beginner learn about their laser and how to use the settings, options and features to make money. It also provides basic information about setting up a shop, either in a home or storefront, including the types of chemicals and other products that might be needed to perform all the various applications of laser engraving. Included are notations that apply to either CO2, Fiber Lasers or Glass Tube Lasers along with the advantages and disadvantages of each. Also included is a discussion of gantry vs. Galvo style lasers and the advantages of each.

I agree with you completely. Do you think any of the Facebook Groups’ folks would actually read it?

I see too many people that buyer books thinking that the information within can be absorbed by osmosis as the book sits on a shelf. I have learned more about this wonderful laser endeavor from my peers here in this Lightburn forum then anywhere else.

Cheers

Sasquatch

1 Like

Most people are too lazy to even read the instruction manuals that come with their machine or software.

It’s easier to just do the absolute minimum homework required to get the machine plugged in and lit up, and then whine that they don’t understand and let someone else spoon-feed them the information they need to make it work. Even using the search feature on a forum is too much to handle.
Ain’t nobody gonna buy an $80 book and actually read it. Those days are long gone. Just spoon feed me what I want please…

2 Likes

Better yet just give me a copy of your Lightburn file our machines are identical… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hahaha
That makes indeed more sense.
On the other hand… I found out fiddling with the settings myself makes me find settings for newer materials and such way quicker.

So as with everything… Experience comes from doing.

2 Likes

I tried to find the book as epub… and I couldn’t

But I found these instead.
Might also be handy
http://www.engraversnetwork.com/files/M360_V460_Material_Settings.pdf

If I had the book, I would put it in my laser and see how many pages I could cut through.

Hank, I guess I could just ask someone what settings to use to see how many pages I can cut.
You are right, most people would rather let someone else do the work for them and then be so proud of what THEY did.

Four years ago, not that long ago, before Russ Sadler on youtube, Lightburn, any laser forums, we had to learn all this by trial and error. We also went through a lot of money and materials to learn our lasers. I really do not see it as a waste because it is the only way that you are going to learn your machine.
My settings will not work on your machine, especially if you have not optimized your machine to work at its maximum capabilities.
So i agree, most people want to be spoon fed and many want you to use a silver platter and spoon.

Don’t get me wrong. I am glad there are forums and people to help and have utilized them myself. I am a moderator of another forum. What I don’t like to see is folks who pull the machine out of the box, plug it up and expect to do the same things they see others doing without putting out the effort to even try.

Better stop, because I just got way off subject of this topic. Sorry Sasquatch.

2 Likes

No apology needed @Willyivy this dialogue was exactly what I was after.

I agree with all of you .

Cheers

Sasquatch

2 Likes

Most people are too lazy to even read the instruction manuals that come with their machine

Not a problem, since my $3500 machine came with absolutely ZERO documentation or software! The vendor did send me some links (that don’t match up 100% with my machine) and since then hasn’t responded to emails. I might be upset if my expectations had been any different.

The pdf’s you shared are great. But, I have a question. I have a 7 watt laser and the material pdf does not show a 7 watt. How can I use the settings in the materials pdf for my 7 watt laser? I am new and trying to learn and really appreciate your help.

The short answer is that you can’t - you have a diode laser, so even if it was within the listed wattage range, your laser uses a different wavelength of light and is absorbed differently by materials, so the settings wouldn’t work regardless. Diode lasers use visible light, so you won’t be able to engrave clear acrylic, for example, because it does not absorb visible light.

In general you’ll need to go quite slow at full power for cutting thin materials (3mm or less) and for denser woods you’ll likely need multiple passes and possibly air assist. The Emblaser 2 is a 5.5 watt laser, but with slightly more advanced optics than most, so their material database might help you.

1 Like

thank you for your answer