Will LightBurn work on Windows Vista?

Not seeing anything related in search…

Have an old Vista Laptop I need to use as a controller. Due to age/lack of support, I have internet disabled. Since I’m currently in the free trial window, it appears I cannot test this.

So, has anyone successfully gotten Lightburn to run on Vista, at least to load and burn gcode?

I’m assuming not, and I will need to use LaserGRBL or other to load and execute g-code exported from LightBurn (?) … is that correct?

I plan to test loading to LaserGRBL … are there any known issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions!!!

dvc

Oh, follow-up … I presume it makes no real diff, but I’m connecting to an Atomstack A5 PRO 40W machine. Works excellent with my Windows 7 laptop, but I need to free that one up.

Also, the Vista computer is 32-bit, Service Pack 2.

Vista is not officially supported. Windows 7+ are supported. I suspect you might be able to get it to work on Vista but I haven’t seen anyone trying this.

LaserGRBL should work fine on Vista. I have used LaserGRBL to run LightBurn generated code without incident. One thing to be aware of is that LaserGRBL does not dynamically or automatically shift between inches and millimeters although it can run the generated g-code just fine. From memory it only affected framing and is easily remedied with a custom button or code entry.

32-bit is also quite uncommon but LightBurn does have a 32-bit build for Windows.

thanks berainlb

RE: ne thing to be aware of is that LaserGRBL does not dynamically or automatically shift between inches and millimeters although it can run the generated g-code just fine.

So, to be clear, if I just load the gcode and hit ‘send’ it should generate an identical burn as I get when running from lightburn? There are no presets or anything needed? I’ve never run laserGRBL, just installed it :slight_smile:

thanks!

Yes. It’s just acting as a gcode sender at that point. It’s not altering the gcode in any way, just streaming whatever is in the file. It does parse the file and show you the planned path, however.

I think this type of setup is ideal if you have a fairly locked in design or workflow where you’re not having to iterate on settings or design. If you have to iterate quite a bit the workflow can be a bit tiresome especially in comparison to a LightBurn only workflow with a directly connected laser since iterations can be worked through quite quickly.

This workflow also doesn’t allow for using Print and Cut since alignment would be impossible.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks berainlb, VERY helpful!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.