Windows 11 Port failed to open - already in use?

I am unable to find whats causing this usb communication error.

Waiting for connection…
Port failed to open - already in use?

I’m at a loss. It happened after performing a Lightburn update. Roughly in November of 2023. I’ve uninstalled, reinstalled, reverted to an earlier version, uninstalled and reinstalled the ch340 driver. I still keep getting the error. I did find that when i look at the com port through windows device manager it says

Device USB\VID_1A86&PID_7523\8&24681861&0&1 requires further installation.
I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the ch340 driver multiple times and am still getting this message in the events list in the usb properties window. Super frustrating. im running windows 11. was running 11 just fine until the Lightburn update.

Please provide the following:

1. screenshot of Device Manager showing the COM port assigned to the laser
  2. full screenshot of LightBurn with Laser window in view
  3. please confirm if the laser works in XCS or not

I am currently using XCS as I’m typing this to finish some projects.

It is looking like its definitely a Windows 11 compatibility issue with the ch340 driver. I’m unsure of how to resolve the issue.

Is it possible that XCS or another app is occupying the COM port when you attempt to connect in LightBurn?

It would not work in XCS if the port were fundamentally broken.

Make sure all other potential competing apps are shutdown. I’m noticing that you have another COM port so you must have other devices that create a serial port.

I uninstalled xcs and it still has the same issue. this has to be an issue with windows 11 and the ch340 driver. Its so frustrating, i can run XCS vie Wi-Fi.

Ah. Then yes.

Do you have a different USB port you can try?

If not, try uninstalling the USB driver and when asked, delete the driver. Then reboot.

I’ve done that multiple times with no luck still. I’m still getting the message in the event list when looking at the ch340 driver info.

Device USB\VID_1A86&PID_7523\8&27ab6e50&0&1 requires further installation.

Sorry forgot to answer your question using different usb ports, i have several open ports and tried them all. I know for a fact the cable is good. I plugged it into another computer and was able to use Lightburn. but that computer is running Windows 10 and is not my computer to use.

Do you have a Windows backup from before the problem presented that you could roll-back to?

Do you have other USB devices that you can plug in to confirm that the port is otherwise functioning correctly?

My keyboard and camera move to the different USB ports with no issues. Its definitely something with the ch340 driver and windows 11. I’m throwing in the towel. I’ll just use XCS unfortunately. I’m over it. I definitely appreciate you trying to help. I’ve removed all software and reinstalled only Lightburn. removed drivers. updated the motherboard and peripherals to no avail. My frustration is maxed out. Again. I appreciate the time you’ve given me. Thank You!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.