Wire inlay is easy and fun!

Hi.

That sure is.
For the “damascus steel look”, one can also use a combination of different metals, either twisted or braided tgether.
The sanding down part of the process can be tricky if the hardness between the materials varies a lot, so some sort of annealing (or purchasing the material in an annealed state) is often required.

One method is also to use a (twisted link) chain, that produces yet another pattern.

If the look or idea of synthetic glues and/or plastics doesn’t tickle ones fancy, there are fauna and flora based resins and fillers available.
The former ones may not fly well with vegan/vegetarian/etc. types of folks, so care have to be taken if that applies to person who for example recieves the item or artwork as a gift.

Regards,
Sam

1 Like

you opened a can of worms in my thinking thing… its your fault… but, on the other side, thank you, great idea, it looks great, and waiting for next step…

1 Like

Great Idea Billie, love the result.

1 Like

Thank you!

Can’t wait to see what you do!

Just a thought and nothing to do with lasers but you could press the wire in with a soldering iron, it would burn the wire into the wood quite quickly since its a thin wire.

To hold the copper in and to stop oxidation you would need to seal it, a clear apoxy resin would do the trick and be very durable.

Just a thought

I’ve tried this before and the charring makes the wood brittle around the wire, so it falls out. Maybe you’ll have better luck though!

That’s neat! How did you get the right depth, just adjust the power?

More power or more passes, I’d imagine. Dependent on the density of the wood.

2 Likes

Yeah, you opened a whole new market for me. Gee…thanks :crazy_face:
Wire inlay on the lines in the lower section. Rest is inlayed veneers.

To think I can’t sell a single one of these, but ‘they’ can raffle them off and make hundreds. Last given away guitar stand. Everyone is making money but me…and an one word ‘thanks’ doesn’t pay the bills.

2 Likes

Boy is it pretty though!! :smiley: So cool to see your results! I’m glad it worked well for you!!

We do accept payment by posting plenty of photos of your work in Finished Creations :slight_smile:

1 Like