Wonky text engraving

Hi people,

I’m new in laser engraving, using a creality 1,6W laser module on my Ender 5 3D printer.
Cutting through thin plywood is working fine, although it takes some time with this low wattage laser.
However, I’m having issues on engraving text which I an unable to solve.
Hoping someone is able to guide me a bit towards a solution.

I want to engrave the text “eat drink and be happy” on a decorative cutting board.
So, firstly I was getting this image, where the left and right direction engraving was shifting, causing a dual image.

Then, I unchecked the dual direction engraving option in the settings, so I could isolate the issue to this one problem. Below is half the HAPPY text, which turned out perfect.

I decided to repeat this 1-directional engrating on a new piece of wood, which should work.
However, I now numerous strange patterns I don’t understand

• Why is the suddenly H wavy, but all other letters in HAPPY are fine
  • Why the burn offset at the letter d, but fine at the letter b
  • Why are the “H” and the “and” all bad, but the letters APPY and the “e” above absolutely fine.

I have brainstormed and might have found a few causes, but it could be a long strech.

1. The wood grain might be too course at the word “and” causing some sort of bleeding on the letters.
  2. Perhaps the runtime of 40 minutes is a bit too long for the laser
  3. Laptop glitching
  4. Cheap USB connection cable

Any help is greatly appreciated.
For now, have a good day

if your machine was a regular diode laser i would say your X axis is loose on the belts or sproket/wheels etc. something is adding backlash to the system.

However this should be self evident if you operate it as a 3d printer?
Worth reviewing the hardware though

I second Gil, in my experience, such results are 95% caused by mechanical issues. I guess that the laser head might be a bit too heavy in contrast to the extruder? So the speed might have been too high. Which settings did you use?

Thanks for thelp so far guys, really appreciate it.
I converted my printer to 3D printing again so I can confirm if it is a hardware issue. If printing succesfully the belt isn’t the issue.

Then, the laser head weight.
I understand it might be wonky due to the weight, but it doesn’t explain why the “e” in “be” is sharp, right?
I will try a lower speed next, perhaps speed 100mm/s with 75% power will do.

Settings I used:
pass count: 1
speed: 400mm/s
power max: 55%

Engraving pattern:
Bottom right to bottom left = laser ON
Right to left = laser OFF