I sent an email to support. Their automated response suggested I post here. OK> here ya go.
I’m having a fairly miserable time adapting to using your software.
I’m asking for help.
I’ve spent hours searching tutorials, the forum, facebook groups, youtube, google, duck duck go, etc. and am asking for direct support. Perhaps a phone call with me at the machine to make the changes may be possible?
I’m using a JTech 7w+ laser on a Shapeoko 3 xxl machine.
- I CAN NOT get the workspace to work properly. From use to use, I do not get consistent results. I’m using the “Use laser” and “Use Spindle” macros suggested.
A. The origin point as still runs off the front left end of the workspace (set to -812 by -812) If I hit “Go to Origin.”
B. Using the “frame” method to simply chase down and put the material where the machine wants to go works, but the machine will never go to the full front right. I’m losing about 6 inches from the left side of the machine. Also, If I set the graphic to the top right of the machine it will go out of range until I move is several inches down, losing the top right corner of the digital workspace. Is there some offset I need to set beyond the workspace settings to get the digital workspace to match the physical workspace? How do I do that?
- I need to be able to burn onto carved items. I’ve heard it called “hybrid” work.
I need to be able to control the start point of the work rather than chasing the machine.
Work flow needs to be this:
- Set zero x/y/z using the spindle from Vectric Aspire and carve the material.
- Switch to the laser and burn graphics onto the same material and have it accurately aligned to the carving already in place.
- BONUS REQUEST: Is it possible to burn onto a 3d object rather than just a 2D plane. In other words, get the z axis to follow the contour of a 3D object AND have the laser turn off and on during the process? If I could accurately color the lettering on this test object and add a halftone graphic to the empty egg I would be in heaven. I’ve not been able to find any indication that this is possible or and details on how to do it if it is.
At any rate, I need to be able to accurately align and burn at least onto the flat carve and raised letters NOT on 3d eggs…. The flat ones.
- I can’t get the laser head to move to any chosen point ever. I can’t figure out how to set a user origin point. (I think that’s what I need to do to align to the X/Y/Z set by the spindle)
I imagine a method where I move the laser to a marked point set by the spindle as x/y zero and set that as the origin point for the laser carve which will align the burn to the previous cut.
OR… set an offset that uses the previously saved zero.
If there is already some tutorial that lays out how to do this, please direct me. Otherwise, Please Help!
So to sum up…
My main problem is that I am missing whatever settings or procedures to properly set up the workspace and having no luck controlling the software to set my own origin/alignment points.
This lack is forcing me to only use the software for the most basic 2d burns.
Thank you for any help.