X-Axis motor grinding then skipping position

I just nearly went insane trying to figure out why my x axis went insane on my cheap eleks machine. After nearly going insane I discovered the white wire in the cable to the x axis was severed inside the insulation. I also discovered that eleks used straight through wiring. Not all spare stepper motors in my possession use that wiring. Also the Mana Se board doesnt work with those cables. Still looking for an explanation in print and photos somewhere so I can wire up any motor to any control board.
In short, make sure the problem isn’t a bad wire. To do this replace it with a different stepper motor wire.
On another note I did have a file that kept messing up in one spot. It was a simple file so I redid it and that solved the issue. If i recall that issue was a simple pause that didn’t belong. Long enough ago i cant recall if it resulted in a skipped position or not. It did mess up something though.

1 Like

This is hilarious! After a long weekend of me doing the same I found that my X-axis step motor was catching on a wire in my chain link AND determined that not one but TWO files were bad. Can’t make this stuff up! I finally found a fresh new design and changed some settings around thanks to berainLB and finally after the 6-7th try got the design done! Always good to have a few spare parts on hand for your issue though. Hope you get the motor fixed…might be cheaper to buy a soldering gun and fix it yourself!!!

I agree. spare parts are always a good thing to have. Especially if they don’t cause part of your problem.
Unfortunately, flexing cable and soldering don’t mix well. I need to find the connectors and the special connector crimping tool so I can just shorten the wire a wee bit. That or another supply of cables.
of course, an article on how they are wired for different controllers would be nice too.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.