Xtool D1 pro "Home" button causing laser to grind - possible fix

Hi all,

I received my xTool D1 pro a couple weeks ago and noticed after setting it up when clicking the “home” button my laser would go all the way to the left of the machine, then all the way up to the back left. However after reaching “Home” the laser would continue to move, making a grinding sound for ~3 ish seconds.

I tried everything even rebuilding the laser from scratch, no fix.

However, I may have resolved the issue and hopefully it may help some one else out.

In Lightburn
Click “Devices”
Click on your laser in the device list
Click on “Edit”
Click on your Controller from the device wizard list - I am using GRBL
Click on how you want to connect it - I chose “Serial/USB” as my device is plugged in via USB
Now this is where MY fix came in.
The default dimensions were “X axis 430mm, Y axis 400mm”
The “Y axis” setting was 10 mm bigger than what xTool noted on their website.
I dropped the “Y axis” to 390 mm and clicked “Next”
Left the “Origin” as rear left and finished the setup.

After doing this, and clicking the “Home” button - my laser homes with no grinding!
Hope this helps!

1 Like

That’s, frankly, a little surprising that it would make a difference. Is this repeatable for you? As in increasing the Y axis size would cause a crash during homing?

The reason I ask is because the device dimensions should have no bearing on the homing cycle process. LightBurn isn’t involved in the process other than requesting the home itself.

In any case, glad it’s now working for you.

1 Like

A late player to the XTOOL game, I was having this issue, I was racking my brain loosening and tightening belts. I changed the Y axis parameters, and will try this out.

Will, thanks for the setting changes and it fixed the same “Home” problem I had. After changing the settings, I noticed the work area on Lightburn changed as well. Did that affect your workspace or dimensions using Lightburn? Thanks again…

Help! This just started happening to me today. I’ve adjusted the x to 420 and the y to 390 and its not changing anything. All that I did was remove the laser to clean it today, it was working perfectly. It will do the grind thing when it gets to the left side of the x axis and won’t go to the back anymore. I’ve undone and redone all of the connections, and nothing has changed. I’ve deleted the device, checked for hardware updates on XCS and looked for help over on xTool (this was no help)

Anybody have any good ideas?

Here is the command list that’s being displayed:

Waiting for connection…

Waiting for connection…

�ok

ok

[xTool D1Pro:ver 40.31.006.01 B2]

ok

Homing

ok

start_home x

M2001 0.0.0.0

start_home y

up limit trigged

MPos:0.000000,0.000000,0.000000

M28

I think the main issue is actually wire management. The way the instructions have you run the cables causes it to bunch up behind the right rear. It has nothing to do with Lightburn at all, as all Lightburn can do is tell the machine to home.
Image not mine, but shows the problem with how all the cables come up behind the stepper.

Even in the promotional images (this was cropped from the picture on amazon) shows the cables looping up behind the gantry.
81OB2kfkpnL.AC_SL1500

I had this issue right after assembly and wondering why it wouldn’t home Y properly without the stepper grinding as it missed steps. I noticed the cable would catch on the pully for the belt and stopped it from going back any further to actually reach the switch.

I cut the zipties and rerouted the cabling up around the outside, then made sure it laid tight and flat on the gantry and haven’t had an issue since. This is a picture of my machine;

tl;dr do a bit of cable management and run them outside the frame of the machine.

2 Likes

I have had an issue or two with that, and I like what you did with the cable (looking at a cable chain, only $20 or so).

It’s just not moving at all now… super frustrated.

If it’s not moving at all, that points more towards a connection issue. Reseat all your wires and try again, if that doesn’t work, unplug the cables and do a continuity test with a multimeter to ensure there’s no break in the wires.

This actually worked for me just now… Some how The up was down and the down was up. I did you you said and it is fixed. I have the extension. So I am not sure what the fix should be for that. There is a real learning curve that’s for sure!!!

Any other fix on the issue. Tried changing the coordinates and that did not fix. Rerouted the wire, that fixed the X position but Y-axis still grinding.
When I check message it shows that X limit switch triggered but Y limit switch is not triggering