xTool D1 Pro Odd Hard Limit Error

Trying to start up a new xTool D1 Pro with Lightburn but running into a peculiar problem. I have the unit fastened to a sheet of plywood and trying to etch a grid into the workspace. I am able to Frame the the process without issue however when I start the job I consistently get a hard limit trigger error. (attached). The initial file took up the entire workspace. Since then I have tried

A) a smaller design
B) a smaller design that has been shifted away from the origin. (Hard limit immediately triggers at startup at the 0,0 position)

Again I can frame the job without issue… just when it starts. Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

xTool Full Grid Ver 2.lbrn2 (261.8 KB)

1 Like

Are you using Absolute Coords? If not, I suggest you do.

Home the laser before attempting a burn. Once homed, never move the laser by hand, always use jog controls.

I just had something happen like this today! Weird question, but is your D1 by a window in the sun?!

Disable the pointer offset in your device settings. As long as its enabled, Lightburn will try to move -16mm on start because the red cross has a -16mm offset. When you start on your x axis at 0 it will run into your limit switches.

Perhaps increasing $27, the limit switch backoff distance, will prevent the axes from tripping the switch during normal motion:

This will reduce the travel along the axes by the backoff distance, which should be, at most, a few millimeters.

Thank you… much appreciated.

So I use $27 to change the offset post homing. Is there a GCODE command that will tell me what the $27 set point is currently?

I won’t be able to try this for a couple of days but this certainly makes sense and will be my first step in trying to correct. Thank you, much appreciated.

no, its in an interior room,

Thanks

yes, using absolute. it happened after many attempts and there was no movement of the laser after the homing function.

Thanks,

Entering the $$ command in the Console window should do the trick. Basically, you want enough pulloff that the switch “unclicks” with some room to spare; you can measure that while tripping the switch with a finger and listening (*) for the click.

The GRBL Settings doc may be informative:

(*) Unless your ears are like mine, in which case you’re better off trying to feel the click and unclick against your fingertip. :man_shrugging:

Note that this is a lost cause on any xTool laser as xTool prevent changes to GRBL configuration.

Well, that’s … clever.

Apart from reflashing the controller with sensible firmware, I suppose moving the switch a few millimeters behind the current trip point is the only way to get it done.

I had mine in the sunlight of a window and I think it was setting off the fire sensor and stopping the laser! Hasn’t done it since I moved it out of the sun.

That was it… thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.