Xtool d1 pro with rotary moving very slowly

I am using a xtool d1 pro 20w with the RA2 rotary with chuck attachment, recently my preview times for jobs on the rotary have been way off. At first i thought it was somethint with the hardware but after some tinkering I believe i have figured out what the issue may be. During initial setup of the laser in lightburn xtool directs you to select the Z axis for your rotary. When the z axis is selected on mine i get a very slow X axis as result. Seems to be less than half of the commanded speed. When I select the Y axis in rotary set up the x axis moves at what seems to be the commanded speed. Has anyone else found this with their laser? I will be doing more tests today to verify job quality and speed with the Y axis selected and report back.

Man i thought i was going crazy cause my xtool d1 pro 20w with the ra2 rotary is doing the same thing!!! Ive spent days playing with it and changing every setting i can think of but no success !!! The preview times are way off not even close with the regular laser set up and with the rotary attached, and the speed on the laser with the rotary is super slow i can only slow it down even slower that it already is , it wont speed up more than like 1200mm a minute. It will not accept anything over that , it shows 3000mm a minute on the display when i enter it in but still goes slow as hell!!

I currently have mine configured for mm per second, not that this has effect but just for your reference. Here’s what I’ve found though. When the rotary is configured with the Z axis the d1 pro automatically has it programmed to run a certain speed or something. Xtool says they have it debugged for that so it won’t slip objects on the roller. I’m running the chuck attachment for everything I am doing though. So I configured my rotary in lightburn for the Y axis by selecting it. While using the chuck attachment you need to mirror the image with the Z axis selected. When using the Y axis you dont need to as long as you have your rotary with the motor on the right and the object on the left of the motor while using the chuck attachment. With this set up i am roughly 2 minutes over the estimated time on a 30 minute burn. For instance i did a full honey comb line wrap on a hydroflask 20 oz cylinder with a 2 in circle shaped fill in 30 minutes. The wrap is from top to bottom 360. This would have taken over an hour running on the z axis. I have had no issues with inaccurate images or poor quality at all. One thing that has helped out also is grouping things that are far apart seperatley and then selecting fill groups together instead of all shapes at once.

I am running 45% power with air assist, and 80mm a second on the green hydro flask with a very easy cleanup, very polished stainless finish, no dark streaks from too much power and .07 line interval with using the focus lever and in focus. Im using the 20w xtool d1 pro laser also.

Thank you for your input !! This thing has been driving me crazy!! Im gonna give it a try and change it from z to y and see how it goes , i will update my progress !! Thanks again!!!

No problem. Just finished some tests on a navy blue yeti rambler. Had to use different settings. Not sure if its because its the color blue, but I went 70mm a second and 60% power. In focus with a .09 line interval. cleaned easy and has awesome detail and a great finish to the stainless.

Also I am using over scan at 2.5% and the fast whitespace option is not on. got some weird results while using that on some tests.

So this was pretty helpful in 1 way. I ended up switching the z axis for the y and my x axis started moving at the correct speed again, however I noticed 2 new things. 1: the object is now mirrored (which was easy enough to fix by enabling mirrored output) and 2: my laser is now not engraving where I line it up, but it frames correctly. (I have already found the laser pointer offset to be a culprit when setting up originally) So now I’m wondering what is going on. Have you found any actual parameters to be helpful (like manipulating the z axis parameters) or anything else that might help my situation? My goal is to not have to change settings every time I run a flat piece vs. use the rotary because I will inevitably forget!

I haven’t had that issue much more than a couple times. I always use a tool layer for the entire outline of my engraveable area on whatever I’m engraving. I pay close attention to make sure all items are inside of that tool layer. I’ll try to post an example of what I’m talking about. Also i make sure to have the green starting point. Otherwise the only other time I’ve had that issue was with the laser offset setting. I only have to toggle rotary off and on when switching surfaces