Xtool Machine On and Off Light

Hey all, I was cutting a small piece of rubber the other day that took about 15 minutes. so, I went outside and waited for the machine to quit. I saw on some of these new 80 watt tube laser these machines have lights mounted on them. When they are running there green, when the job is complete, they turn red. this machine I am using is an xtool d1 pro. has anyone figured out a way to rig up a setup that might do something like this? It would be nice to look in the garage at a light and see the job is done. Yes, there is ventilation out there already. I was looking???
Thanks.
Tim

While not related to Lightburn, and it’s not something the XTool can do directly, here’s an idea.

You could clamp a tiny switch, say a cheap limit switch, to the back of the machine, and wire it into a light. In the end gcode section, have the toolhead move where the switch is and park against it, closing the switch and activating the light.

1 Like

Thank you October Grey, I will look into that. I’ll see what I can rig up, and if it looks good and works, I will post for all to see. :grinning: :grinning:
Thanks,
Tim

Look forward to seeing the results. :slight_smile:

Not a good idea. Leaving a machine that burns stuff on purpose unattended is a safety hazard. Rank a laser right up there with lithium batteries.

1 Like

But what if I leave my laser alone while it runs off a lithium battery? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I was about ten feet away and watching it. Not directly standing over it. All my other CNC’s have shower curtains on rebar welded frames around them.
Tim

That is a no-brainer… Make insurance is paid up and no family or pets in the house.

This is not how you described it initially. If enclosed, it could be a mess before you noticed. I admit sitting there and watching it is not practical. I am going to add a 175° thermal switch and Sonalert to mine for the same reason.

Once a CNC progam has been proofed, they can be left to run unattended. I worked in a machine shop under a 10 acre roof. The most dangereous thing there were the engineers writing the programs. :rofl:

1 Like

Exactly why and how I learned to read/write gcode by hand. Programmer had a thing about messing up Z height and driving the cutter through the spoilboard and into the CNC table. Also would somehow put the program literal miles in negative Y… :thinking: Had to check and fix almost every program.

Yes on the CNC programmers. I have had them come out in the shop and ask me questions on how I would program something. This being on machines I have run, operated and programmed gcode for the last 40 years. Back to the xtool
to try and find a way to mount a light to show when the machine has finished, this was just a project I was thinking of doing. I am always in the shop while the CNC’s are running. I didn’t know if someone has posted on a light kit like this before.
Thanks,
Tim

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.