Y-Axis Overshoot on rounded Corners?

Today I was messing around with some 0.5mm ( 265g/m² ) Art Paper which obviously allowed for faster cuts than the 3mm corrugated Cardboard I had been doing some test with last week.

Doing the usual LB Material Test Pattern…

…showed no particular issue but when I started doing some larger cuts the size of a Business Card, I noticed an odd issue which I first attributed to cutting too fast but after gradually reducing the speed until I reached like 75mm/s I’m not quite sure this actually being the issue.

The below picture shows two Cards cut with about the same parameters but the left one has had its Corners rounded over ( 1mm ) whereas the right one does not:

As can be seen the left Rounded one is experiencing the equivalent of Ghosting I’m familiar with from when 3D Printing fast without the Motion System having been resonance Calibrated.
Whenever it changes direction during the transition from the heavier Y-Axis to the X-Axis - despite it technically having an easier time with the rounded corner.

Contrary to that the right Sharp Cornered one is producing perfect 90° Corners? :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Is there a Machine Setting that can address this?

Unlikely. At least not directly.

This is almost certainly something mechanical but not certain what. Possibly a loose laser head or lens?

You could try to remedy this by reducing acceleration and speed but I’d suggest trying to track down the mechanical issue first.

Were the left and right cuts don’t at the same time or on different runs? Did you have any change in Cut settings? Was the location on the bed the same for both?

The machine handles corners differently than 90 deg turns. It will have to stop before proceeding on the 90deg corner, but not on the curved corner.

1. ensure X axes belts/grub are adjusted correctly.
  2. your acceleration could cause this, but it’s more likely aggravated by lose belts.

:smile_cat:

The two Cards shown in the example were done at different runs with the right one shifted in the Y-Axis towards the front of the Machine but I also had one Rounded Card cut with an additional 90° Square inside - The Square cut nicely whereas the Card did not.

Pulleys are Press Fit onto the Motor Shafts, and the Belts produce a nice enough Tone when flicked so I’d guess them being reasonably tight.

Btw… Does RuiDa provide ANY kind of meaningful Support?
Their website does neither have a Support Contact Form nor a Forum to ask questions :confused:

Ruida would not provide direct support for an integrated solution like this. The expectation is that the laser manufacturer/integrator or retailer is providing support. I’ve heard that if you purchase directly from them that they will provide support but they are much more an industrial supplier than an end-user facing company. So in this case you’re not their customer, Gweike is.

I’m guessing what’s happening here is that for the rounded corner the machine isn’t slowing down as much as it needs to for your machine and certain components can’t keep up. If you haven’t already I’d suggest you check the laser head to make sure it’s well secured and check the same for the lens. If not that, try reducing speed further. You could explore reducing acceleration in the controller to see if that helps.

Yesterday I went and had another read through a RuiDa Manual ( despite my controller not exactly being one ) and one particular setting sparked my interest - that being Speed factor % (0 to 200 ) - as it mentioned the speed when doing arcs of various sizes.

Low and behold reducing it from like 80 down to 30 would now have the Laser do nice Rounded Corners without the wobbly overshoot when transferring from a Y-Axis Motion into an X-Axis one =)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.