Y axis switch with 2 drivers

Hello all
Can someone have a look over my diagram and see if you can spot any issues of why this may not work please, It’s for having an easy to reach switch to switch between y and rotary, without the need to get to the side of the machine (which isn’t easy to get to in my setup) and swap the green connector block over along with changing dip switches when I use the rotary.
It’s based off an old locked post on the forum by @BR928S4

I have a chinese generic 80w laser with a ruida 6442s as shown on my diagram.

many thanks

The ENA+ on both drives are connected to 5V+
The ENA- on both drives are connected to the switch on either side. (Yellow and green wires)

What is your goal?

having an easy to reach switch to switch between y and rotary, without the need to get to the side of the machine (which isn’t easy to get to in my setup) and swap the green connector block over along with changing dip switches when I use the rotary.

You shouldn’t need to change the DIP switches and you don’t have to incorporate a dedicated driver for the rotary. If you want a dedicated rotary driver, Ruida has firmware released for the 6445 (not sure about 6442) that dedicates U for rotary operation allowing for laser fire commands while the U axis is moving.

Traditionally (before this firmware was being developed), machine builders installing 6442 and 6445 controllers would incorporate a common 3 phase stepper driver and switch it with a 3 position rotary cam switch to a 3 pin XLR / Aviation Plug Socket connector:

Here is the use of the U axis

Hopefully and addition to Jeff’s comment. :slight_smile:

yeah Ruida never updated the 6442 for U - rotary… just the 6445G had the pleasure of that firmware upgrade.

I’m basing my finding from this post:

You have it illustrated the same way it was described. It should work.

:smile_cat:

Good thanks @jkwilborn :slight_smile:
@Stroonzo hey Jeff, Yeah I need to change dip switches or the rotary motor runs very hot.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.