Z-axis default value to 0 mm?

Hello Community,

a simple question: how can the default value of the Z-axis of 3000 mm be permanently set to 0 mm?

I don’t mean through the focus, but as a default value that is preset in the controller after switching on or after a reset.

Thanks for any helpful tips.

Assuming this is similar to your laser:

Then it has a Ruida controller, which means you cannot change the default coordinate of an unhomed axis.

The initial value for an axis allows you to jog / move it in either direction, but you can’t set the coordinate.

Ruida controllers do not use G-Code, which means advice & suggestions applicable to offsets and initial conditions for GRBL controllers do not apply.

Are you using the Z axes for something…? generally if it doesn’t home, you are not using it…

:smile_cat:

Oh, I was so lost in thought that I didn’t specify the controller at all: it’s a Ruida RDC6445GZ, the application may be too special, I just wanted to know whether a value of 0 mm can be entered without homing. If - as has been said - it is not possible, then that’s that.

Many thanks for the information.

The following sermon is only for those who are interested in my particular problem (probably far too long to actually read):

1. if I forget to set the focus manually, the Z distance is set to 3000 mm. “Manual” here means: with the focus button on the controller, this is completely my fault, only applies to the situation after switching on or after a reset and it is only about the Z-axis!
  2. in Lightburn I use a material thickness in my files because this is very convenient when cutting different materials. As far as I could understand, the entered material thickness is interpreted as Z-distance by the controller, but only by the way.
  3. if 1. & 2. apply, the controller tries to move the table up by 3000 mm (minus material in Lightburn) at the start of the job, which ends in a crash, because my focussing probe IMHO does not work as an end stop. But even if the focussing switch would work as an end stop, it could accidentally move through the blades or the honeycomb table, for example, and thus not trigger a stop. Crash!

My mental solution: set the preset Z distance permanently to 0 mm. Why? Because the table would only ever move downwards in this case, regardless of its position. In other words, if I forget the focus, the table moves down by the value entered in Lightburn and there is no crash. Yes, the cut will not work, but this is absolutely harmless compared to the current state.

Why no end stop on the table? I use the blade table and also various attachments. According to my logic (please ignore me if I’m misinterpreting this), this would result in the following scenarios:

1. end stop for the height of the blade table: in this case the blades would be referenced as 0, but if I use a honeycomb grid (25 mm height) on the blades, the table would drive the honeycomb grid into the laser head. Unattractive.
  2. end stop for the height of the honeycomb grid: in this case I could no longer cut on the blades because the table cannot be moved high enough.

“But your solution is stupid…”: yes, it is Q&D, but it fulfils my need. I don’t want an automatic system that recognises the height of the inserted table and the workpiece after switching on and calibrates itself accordingly. It’s enough for me if the table doesn’t crash into the laser head because I was too stupid to focus.

And that would be the case with my solution, without further conversions, end stops or other extensions.

Then you are stuck with the maximum value for the Z axes…

Sorry that’s how they work… no home operation, it’s set for maximum…

Same with other axes, if they don’t perform a home, you get 10000 for the X and Y axes.

Good luck

Yes, I have to accept that, it was just an idea.

End up doing it like NASA … make a pre-fright check list… :grimacing:

Quite conceivable. :smile::+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.