Z-Table not raising or lowering, motor seems stuck

I have installed the Power Z Table/Bed Kit for K40 Small Laser Machine on my OMTech K40 with the Cohesion 3d board. When i open Lightburn the Z-Axis buttons don’t move the table, I can see the motor trying to move but it doesn’t turn. I than added an external stepper motor and 24v power supply, this did not fix the issue either. What could cause this? I also tried with no tension on the belt as well to make sure it wasn’t too tight. Lastly i tried a new motor and it did the same thing.

On my last post that was closed, someone had suggested seeing what the console put out when i hit z-down, see below:

Starting stream

G20 G54

G91

G1 Z -0.1F23.622 S0

G90

Stream completed in 0:00

The built-in driver in the C3D board should be able to drive that Z table. Assuming all the hardware is good we should be able to check-off all the required pieces for this to work correctly.

1. Smoothieware configuration - have you configured the requisite items in your config file? Can you share the config.txt or relevant portions here?
  2. Wiring - Did you validate that the wiring from C3D board to steppers is correct? Can you take a photo of the wiring on controller side and stepper side?
  3. LightBurn configuration - Can you take screenshots of Device Settings and Move window?

Based on what you’ve explained so far I tend to think you’re dealing with a wiring or config issue. However, if you tried this with an external stepper driver you would need to be pretty explicit about the wiring so maybe not.

Have you tried running the Z stepper on X or Y port to see if it’s something unique about the Z port?

Also, can you confirm your specific C3D board?

Please see above comments and pictures.

In this response i have comments and pictures for question # 3 and the specific board.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I can’t see the pinout labels on the external driver. Can you get a better picture or link to your specific model?

Same for the stepper itself. The stepper listed for your stated z-table doesn’t seem to match your picture. Are the wires coming out of the controller on a connector or is it hard-wired?

Can you try connecting the Z-motor to the Z port directly on the controller (not through external). The color orientation should be the same as what you have on A port (K G B R as it’s shown in the photo).

Test. If that doesn’t work can you validate the stepper is working by plugging it into another stepper port?

[quote=“berainlb, post:5, topic:63937”]
I can’t see the pinout labels on the external driver. Can you get a better picture or link to your specific model? It is this exact model, wired exactly how these instructions say: LaserBoard Connecting External Stepper Drivers - Cohesion3D

Same for the stepper itself. The stepper listed for your stated z-table doesn’t seem to match your picture. Are the wires coming out of the controller on a connector or is it hard-wired?
[/quote] The wires coming from the stepper to the cohesion board are pre wired: Cohesion3D LaserBoard External Stepper Driver Cable [4 Pack] - Cohesion3D

[quote=“berainlb, post:6, topic:63937, full:true”]
Can you try connecting the Z-motor to the Z port directly on the controller (not through external). The color orientation should be the same as what you have on A port (K G B R as it’s shown in the photo). I had it initially wired directly in that orientation, the black wire from the stepper motor turns into a yellow wire at my connection.

Test. If that doesn’t work can you validate the stepper is working by plugging it into another stepper port?
[/quote] I will try to connect into another port later tonight and will update.

1. Smoothieware configuration - have you configured the requisite items in your config file? Can you share the config.txt or relevant portions here?

Below is the config file. Missed attaching last night.
config.txt (28.4 KB)

[/quote]

In basic I don’t see anything that sticks out here. I am curious about the “gamm_steps_per_mm” based on this note:

• Some devices may not require the decimal point in the steps value and will need to be updated (made evident by extremely slow vertical movement). Ex: 3169

Is it possible that the Z-axis is moving but just extremely slowly? Can you describe what happens when you attempt to engage Z-axis?

Here is a video of the motor when i try to move it, this has no tension on the belt and the top table screws were loose while trying to troubleshoot with the manufacturer. Z-Table Issue.mp4

Were you able to confirm if the stepper is functioning on another port?

I was able to try on the Y-Axis and it moved normally as it should wired in the current configuration. When i switch it back to the Z-Axis port it has the same issue. This must be a configuration issue, i just don’t know what the issue is.

That’s good. Now you know the issue is limited to config or the controller. Likely config since youre tried this with the external driver.

Did you try changing this setting to 3169?

I did, and it is fully functioning with one exception. If i keep the top rail on the table that holds the guide screws in it binds to where it won’t move. I believe this was my first and foremost issue that started me down the rabbit hole. I have reached out to LightObject to see if they can send a replacement with a return label. One of the bearing holes is off by 1/8 of an inch. Thank you for all of the help, i greatly appreciate it. Once i had this working, the up and down was reversed when hitting the buttons in lightburn. I found a great article that helped me fix the reversed direction. Feel free to pass this on as well. K40 and LightObject Z table with end stops - Board Configuration and Setup - Cohesion3D Community

had the same problem with lightobjects z table, sent it back and they say there was nothing wrong.that was total nonsence I spent hours with it the machining was terrible ,finally got a refund less the $20.00 shipping. wont be purchasing anything from them in future

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.