$79 Cenoz laser engraver on Amazon... any good?

I have been enjoying this journey and I feel there are a lot of high value ideas and contributions here.

I can’t spend hours curating this but I can see that there could easily be more than several hours worth of future-value in separating out the topics on this wild (free-range) thread. It really is a marvel of enthusiasm, interest and engagement; thank you (all of you) for your contributions here - they are noticed and appreciated at the highest levels.

@dkj4linux You have the first post. The floor is yours. If you’d like me to make adjustments and apply administrative tools to help sort it I’d be happy to do so.

If you’d like it left as is, I will oblige.

If you’d like to workshop this as a group as where you’d like to split it, I’ll delete the workshop messages once the thread is in a preferred form(s).

I’d like to have some consensus around this. The commitment that I have is that I’d like to protect the community (and all the good stuff written by our enthusiastic participants) while carrying out other daily tasks.

A good fallback may be to provide an index with links to help folks find their way.

3 Likes

While I empathize with Jacks situation, I have to agree with David’s comments.
If you do split this thread up, I will certainly follow the new thread. (and others will too)
lsrsal (Sal) has been a tremendous help to all of us, and I will continue to follow all of his input. (And I’m sure others will too)
just my $.02

2 Likes

Thank you, John, for responding. Anything you can do would help.

My fear is that, if left alone, this thread will continue to get longer and more confusing if the off-topic discussion doesn’t find a new home. Or, it dies completely… kinda stranding those of us who are still trying to tame this neat, little machine. We’d have to start over in a new thread and cover a lot of the same ground… but, then again, we may never see this sold-out machine ever offered again.

I’m a tired/retired EE and totally ignorant of how you guys manage forums, threads, etc. The “workshop/group” thing scares me… but only that I might have to participate and make decisions?

The index with links sounds most promising to me. I have no idea how it would work… but, then again, my UNDERSTANDING isn’t a requirement, is it?

I’m happy to go with the consensus. Thank you, John… and all.

– David

1 Like

“Or, you can take the red pill, and see just how far down the rabbit hole goes” :dark_sunglasses: :wink:

2 Likes

We’re already going down that hole…
ALICE

1 Like

Back to our regular programming…

With this post I presented a way to do 2-“color” glass engraving using my litte 2.3W Eleksmaker laser module…

so I decided to see if I could duplicate the process using the $79 Cenoz laser engraver.

Flat-white paint on glass is lasered with iconic JD label to give black/dark markings on glass…

White paint is completely removed with acetone. Black tempera paint applied and lasered to give frosted marking on glass… registration is crucial…

Tempera paint removed with water and dish-soap…

The black markings are not as black and distinct as the original ones above. I’m not yet sure whether it’s a paint/coating thing and/or possibly not finding/using optimal speed/power settings (I used the same setttings as for my 2.3W laser) for this laser. The process is still valid however… I need to do a couple of NWT test grids using the Cenoz laser to see if I can get a better result.

– David

2 Likes

Well what can I say. When I posted my first tile in post 114, I was quite pleased with the results.
But from there its been downhill all the way.
Right now I’m seriously considering getting rid of this machine.
I truly like the construction, but I think the laser head is dying and is a piece of s##t.
What doesn’t

wash off with the acetone, I can scrape off with my fingernail.
Very disappointed.

What did it cost you?.. The laser module is a consumable… bummer if they fail early. I’ve found coating thickness to be critical one the ones I’ve done… Haven’t done one with this laser…

I have a Neje 30 watt that I’m going to put on mine. We’ll see how it works out… maybe you should look at an upgrade for the laser… ?

:smile_cat:

1 Like

I actually did not buy this for the laser head but for the frame and controller. I will eventually be upgrading my laser to something more substantial.

1 Like

This is the $80.00 machine.
I realize that lasers eventually burn out but not in just one week.
Yes, I too think that this is a very well built machine, Its just the head that’s dying on me.

I think most of us liked the frame and workings… the laser was kind of a ‘gift’…

2 Likes

Kinda like getting a cheap pair of socks for Christmas, and the the second time you put them on your big toe goes through. :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:

Same here, I never used laser before, but when I’ve ordered my first JL1, because it was so cheap and sounds like fun addition to my shop, I have ordered 4W optical replacement together with JL1. It was obvious that original laser on this machine is just like laser ink cartridge that came with the printer.
I run on original laser only for a day or two.
Laser going bad is not a reason to get rid of this machine. I’m agreed that just like a mill bit, laser here is a consumable.
Just get new laser module.

Another consideration: have you tried to clean the lens? You can unscrew it. Check under microscope. Without air assist and bunch of smoke - there is a good chance that all the problem is because of smoke deposits on the lens. Unscrew it and clean. I recommend acetone on q-tip. Never rub any optical glass dry. From my camera hobby experience: most q-tips can be used for 5-10 seconds before they have something dissolve and begin leaving white residue. Also make sure acetone is virgin, never use any substitute like nail polish remover. Just dunk q-tip, clean lens for 2-3 seconds and get next one. Check for streaks before putting lens back.

3 Likes

IIRC I saw people running the laser at 100% and it’s probably not a good idea since heat kills diodes.
I’ve not received my machine yet so I don’t know how well the airflow is on the diode module but can tell you that the Ortur was questionable too until I did some tests and made changes to keep the fan at 100% and keep the airflow within the heatsink fin channels. They later added a 30 sec delay to when the fan turned off and that helps remove heat at the end of a project and keeps the fan moving during moves between burn areas.

I did not clean the lens because I dont think it should be dirty yet. (there’s no smoke coming off the tiles) What module should I get that I can simply plug in?
Yes, I too don’t believe in running anything at 100% power. It just reduces the life.

This is unlikely. That build has some funky little connector. As you see on my picture, I made adapter by taking pigtail from original laser and crimping it into XH plug. That XH is most common one.

Once again another though - that replacement laser came with long cable with XH connects on both sides. Very theoretically it can be used instead of one already mounted on the frame. JL1 has 5-pin for the laser, but 3-pin goes in no problem. Got to check pinout though. I did not try that, IMHO my adapter is cleaner solution.

I’ve got this one, as a comparison… that’s the control board that came with it on the right.

Specifications are questionable…

Notice the PWM input frequency… ?

I highly doubt this has 7.5 watts out… Ran it on my CNC3018 machine for a while.

It weighs twice as much as the head I have on the China Blue… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I also am not that impressed with the laser itself… but had no expectation of a quality laser on a $79 machine anyway. I’m not convinced that operating at 100% power levels for an hour or so at a time significantly reduces its lifetime… I’ve had only one module actually go bad and that was a from static electricity damage. I like the advice to keep the lenses clean… I have seen power loss that a cleaning was able to correct. But I also have a couple of lenses that spotted/cracked due to lack of maintenance. There is some smoke, I suspect, even if you can’t see it… and I keep a small personal fan gently blowing across the work surface to keep any smoke from fouling the lens. My poor result on the JD labels black background might possibly be due to a dirty lens… need to check.

– David

I’ll clean the lens and try again. But that’s for tomorrow.

If I remember correctly you’ve been doing Norton tiles or at least some kind of paint… Don’t think nothing is getting ‘vaporized’ and won’t stick anywhere when you do this … even this one I can smell, so it’s being vaporized and airborne.

I clean mirrors and much of the machine with solvents like alcohol or acetone.

I do not clean lenses with these solvents. You need a lens cleaning solution. I’ve had many people advise me against using anything but a lens cleaner… I believe one of them was Russ Sadler…

Lenses have coatings … I’ve heard some sad stories of what these solvents can do to lenses…

Cloudray sells lens cleaning wipes that are not alcohol based.

IMHO …