A place for everything... and everything in its place

Tim: If Jim does charge by the hour, I get him first. Here is why !!! Front half of shop and back half.

And these are old pics, place so dirty now you can’t hardly walk through
Randy

1 Like

Not seeing any problem there …

:grin:

those pics are a few years old old, today you to pick out a 12" wide path to follow and hope that it leads you what you want. I need to have a big ole auction !!! The 71 Giha has Original paint, inside all original, looks really good and runs good. “NO RUST at ALL” I bought it from an old lady who bought it brand new. I got 100% of all paper work. The ole gal kept perfect records all the way down to every time she even had the tire pressure checked. It was kept in her garage, once a week she drove 8 blocks to the store and back. I bought it 10 years ago and have had it sitting in my shop 9 years now. Yes I take it out once every 60 days or so, tear up the streets and scare the old ladies. My little town only has a 600 head count and 550 of us are all retired. Nice little town, until I hit the our dirt streets sliding around the corners having a blast. Never fails, the day after, I get a hundred calls from the grannies, mad as the devil cause I was throwing dirt and rocks in their yards and scaring them thinking I’m going to kill myself. So I tell them I’m sorry, I forgot and I won’t do it again. The problem is – when I get behind the wheel of that mean 36HP little monster, welllllllllllll !! I just can’t help myself.
Randy

3 Likes

Randy, We might need a poll for this. hahaha

And that’s only one side. The other 1/2 of my shop is about the same.

If you gave me the VW, you would have a lot more space.

Gentlemen… and I mean this in the kindest way…
Organization begins here:

Dumpster

Jim

5 Likes

To be fair to yourself, the broom looks like it’s had at least a few runs around the shop. And the water bowl for the pooch does not have algae. That is evidence you show favor to your dog’s wellbeing over your own visual organization. I’d be willing to bet you know where everything is…

You mean one of these?

1 Like

As a matter of fact, you are 100% correct. I actually do know where everything is. I only have problems finding things AFTER I clean up.

ok – its yours “AFTER” you pay the pick up charge ! $10,000.00 LOL

Jim – Trash is against the shop rules !!! You hang on to something for 25 years, then you throw it out and two days later you “NEED” it really bad. When I was maybe 30 years old I met an “OLD” man, (in his 80s and still working hard in his auto repair shop), back then I thought 80 was really old. Today I know that being 80 is the best time of your life, the way I see it,( I’m only 67) Anyway, that “ole” man had the cleanest shop I ever saw in my life to this day. I asked him how he kept his shop so clean. His response was - look at this floor and you will figure it out. A day later It hit me, there was nothing on his shop floor at all, anywhere at all! Not even under work benches, tables, shelves, I mean nowhere !! If you keep it off the floor, well then you have to put it away. I only wish I had his stamina !

1 Like

He does know where everything is !! That’s why you never let the cleaning wife in, LOL Stuff gets lost when the ladies come in. And they always do it when you are gone !! You make an hr. trip to the hardware
store, get home and OH my God what happened to my shop, where is everything?

And everything is a disaster from the knees up.
(Wait… come to think of it… sounds like many octogenarians I know).

[I really wasn’t starting a “who’s got the most disorganized shop” thread… I’m just working through my OCD, one drawer at a time.] :smiley:

Rats, I thought I had a good chance at winning dirtiest shop award !!!

4 drawers was not enough. I moved this old woodworkers bench out of my walk-in closet, where it was collecting dust, and only being used to empty my pockets on each night. Now I have 6 more drawers and two hinged cabinets to line with foam inserts. Woooohooooo!

you miss worded that bench !!! you should have Said - this “beautiful” old work bench !!!

2 Likes

I thought I was the only person like this. It did happen to me. I kept tripping over this old part on a daily basis. I finally junked it since it’s been here for so long. About a week later, I needed the exact thing. ( I am also JUST 67). At least if I throw it in the dumpster, I have one more chance to save it before the bin gets tipped. :joy: :joy:

Back in the middle 70’s I won a contract to design and install all electrical and radio controls for a new water treatment plant in Hollis, OK. Time jump!!! About the middle 90’s I got a call from the city manager asking if I had any info still left on the radio system. Turns out that radios finally laid down after 20 years or so. Their hot shot radio man, ( who “ONLY”) worked on cop cars had no idea what he was doing and couldn’t figure out how my system worked. It took the city a month to find me in here in TX. and call me.
I did some digging through so old cabinets of mine and I found the original blue prints to everything!! I got to talk with their radio man and learned that he was a good radio repairman, but that was all he knew. I got hired to come and do a complete new system install job. I got contract for all material at cost plus 10% and 1100 dollars a day labor with only 4 days install time. Had it up and running in 3 days !! I can’t believe I still had those old prints. I still have them today and I did make the city a copy of what I had.
Randy

1 Like

I guess we do have a lot in common. I working in the Electrical Engineering department at H.J.Heinz. I was responsible for the installation of new technologies that went into the plant. After I left Heinz, I calibrated all of the flow meters and instrumentation for waste treatment and water plants in southern Ontario.

That’s cool to hear. From 1990 to 2000 it was a lot cheaper for companies to do a system integration than to buy all new machines, (plastics forming). One time in 2010 I went to a medical plastics manufacturing plant in Gainsville, Tx. That plant makes all kinds of stuff used in ER/OR rooms. That was the cleanest plant I have ever seen in my life, the entire place is a clean room itself. The really cool part about that place is that EVERY person who works there is a millionaire. (What did you just say!) The company gives a little amount of stock to every new employee and every two years every employee gets a bonus of more stock. When I was sitting in their break room I noticed that every wall had big monitors showing the live stock market reading. I asked the Gen. manger what that was about and he explained to us how the stock program works. So when the employees go to break, they watch the stock market to see how more money they made that day.
Randy

1 Like

That’s a great idea and a great thing the company is doing for it’s employees. I bet a lot of employees were not out job hunting.