Adding auto focus - Automated Z axis possible?

Hey everyone! Maybe this isn’t the page to ask this so forgive me if it’s not.

Ok has anyone added a stepper motor to the Z axis to enable the auto focus feature on the Ruida systems (maybe others)?

On my machine there’s just a basic motor controlled by an UP & DOWN buttons. The table is chain driven. I would post pictures but I haven’t figured that out yet :sweat_smile:
Thanks for any help/advice!
Jason

Edit: add pictures

I moved this to the Ruida section of the Hardware postings. You also had a “grbl” tag that would limit search returns and comments from those that could help. I also changed that tag to “ruida”. FYI, adding an image or file to a post can be done in the post edit window. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Rick, I appreciate the help.

1 Like

There is a posting about this in the ruida section already. you would have to replace the motor by a stepper and add a 3rd stepper driver to your machine.

Hi @Enno can you possibly post a link to the post. I’ve looked before I posted and just looked again and can’t find anything about it. Thank you, Jason

2 Likes

Thanks @Blake! Pretty close to what I’m looking to do but mine already has a motor and chain driven, unlike @Enno system that was a manual lift powered by “armstrong” LOL. Unfortunately the topic was closed so to bring it back and ask some questions doesn’t seem possible. But thank you both @Enno (for mentioning it) and @Blake (for the link)! Jason

Still not much difference, biggest challenge is to find a toothwheel that fits your chain and a big stepper. then you need a motor mount, replace the motor connect motor to stepper driver and stepper driver to ruida.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.