Air assist solenoid fires rapidly on RDC6445G

Mine says RDC-V15.01.17. The Wind output should be open collector so I’ll probably need to throw a pull-up resistor in there to get a reading on it, but I’ll put the scopemeter on to charge and see if I can get a side-by-side view of the laser power control and the Wind output to see how closely they track.

Here’s the laser power control output (top) compared to the wind output (bottom) with a 20k pull-up to 24v. These aren’t clean square waves because both channels were set to AC coupling for some reason and I’d already disconnected it by the time I realized that.

Anyway, the wind output is definitely tracking the laser power. The time scale here is 50 ms per division, so some of those pulses are on the order of 10 ms. Not good for a solenoid.

I have a Ruida 6442G with a 110v “aquarium compressor” attached to WIND via a relay and haven’t noticed any interruption in the compressor during movement - both cut and engrave even if there is whitespace movement.

I wonder if there is something different about the flavor of Ruida you have.

Someone over on rdworkslab.com says their controller does the same thing, so I guess it’s not just me.

I wonder if it is a firmware issue. Try emailing Ruida. They have replied to me in the past when i asked about the custom firmware available for the U axis (which they wouldn’t give me). It is worth a shot to see what they say. RDWorks is needed to access the firmware upgrade (if they are willing to provide you one). Maybe it is a known issue and if so they may be willing to help you.

I did - I emailed the sales address that was in the manual. Do you know of a better one for technical stuff?

I don’t know if it is better, but the person I got a response from was:

Cyan Liang
Overseas sales manager
SHENZHEN RUIDA SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY LIMITED

Email: Cyan@rd-acs.com , Cyanliang01@gmail.com
Whatsapp: 008613410708106 Web: http://www.en.rd-as.com
ADD: 301A.302B,Technology Building NO. 1067 Nanhai Avenue, Nanshan District, Shenzhen City, Guangdong Province, P.R.China P.C: 518054

Thanks, I’ll give that a try!

So now you don’t need to plant a weed (RD) in your LightBurn Flower :cherry_blossom: :hibiscus: :rose: Garden

:beers:

Sasquatch

Could a timer relay before the solenoid solve this issue?

Sure, and I have one on the way, but it shouldn’t be necessary if the controller was behaving as expected.

this is also a problem for me!
My frimware V15.01.17
And not working “focus” button :frowning:
and not working “U” axis rotary.

I was disappointed in the ruida. A simple STM32 GRBL controller knew more.

I wonder what the Chinese answer.

I’m told the ‘U’ axis only works with special firmware, which no one seems to have. My focus button works, but no documentation was provided. In fact my machine has autofocus, but the instructions only detailed how to set the focus manually - which couldn’t be done on my machine because the way the lid interlock was wired it’d kill ALL power to the machine, including the Z axis.

Here’s how my focus option is set:

I highly doubt an STM32 can do 20Khz, 16-bit PWM while processing grayscale images at 500 mm/sec, and receiving the file over Ethernet at the same time.

The Focus button just triggers Z-axis homing. You need to have a Z- limit switch, and have homing enabled on the Z axis in the machine settings, and then it works fine.

The U-axis rotary is a common complaint - I investigated to see if I could fake it using drawing commands, but the controller got angry and shut down. Thunder Laser machines use the 4th axis output for the rotary, and as a machine supplier you can request boards with that option in the firmware, but I don’t think it’s just available for users, which is short sighted.

1 Like

OK-OK, STM32 is not 20KHz PWM, but Z-axis is moving between working, and A-axis is 4. AXIS is rotary.
Okey.
Focus problem: Autofokus sensor is OK, Z-platform is OK is working, If the Z-axis RESET is good autofocus, but “Focus” button is not working, and LighBurn “Focus-Z” button not working.

98443999_246939286395448_7100758916673306624_n|375x500

Does the Z axis have homing enabled?

If home is enable, at power on is home. But!!! If nothing material, is home the overflow!!! and “focus” button not working.
Is working movie : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100033101022154

Here is a newer firmware. Maybe it will fix the problem. Interested to find out. Sounds like @kreamuhely needs this too (or anyone with 15.01.17).

https://mwlaser.com.au/sdm_downloads/

That seems to have done the trick, thanks!

Now if that time-delay relay ever shows up, I can use it for the exhaust fan instead. I’ve already got a big 3-phase 40-amp contactor wired in to the shop’s fume extraction fan and a cable run to the machine. I figure I’ll set it up to turn on the fan when the ‘status’ line indicates the machine is running, and then stay on for 5-10 seconds after to finish clearing the air. It bugs me to have the big fan running between jobs.

Hey that’s great. Check that post with the link to the firmware as the solution so others will be able to link directly to it from your initial posting on this. I usually don’t even mention marking solution, but for this I have a feeling others will be affected. Maybe @LightBurn could attach the firmware file to the post (as I can’t with it’s extension) to have it available for others without reliance on MWLaser maintaining the link.