Anyone have a fiber laser?

No, I haven’t used it much. Works really well on stainless and aluminum.

I have had my 30w Raycus source Fiber for 2 years now. I bought it directly from a chinese factory through alibaba. I love my machine.
Paid $3800 to my door. My only regret is that I did not shell out the extra for the MOPA.

Being able to do color is priceless!

I do a lot of deep engraving with my 30w… and it depends on the material. Alloys, it cuts like butter, stainless not so much. ( 2 min versus 20 min for the same thickness)

No, it can;t do paper… at first… them it simply puts a hole in it after a while…lol, sucks on wood, unless it was varnished or painted first…
Sucks on thick powder coating. great on Stainless cups, IF you can get your Rotary to work…

My advice, Go to XT Laser. ( I did not get mine there, but wish i did ) Their machines are excellent! Not only that… Great bang for the back and excellent after sales service and support! their english is pretty good too.

Like I said, I did not buy mine there… but they still help me with my machine… how awesome is that?!?

The biggest thing, is to learn…this machine is NOTHING like a co2, and it took me almost 6months to understand how it works… I have had it for 2 years now and I am still learning and not fully understand how everything works… A lot of trial and error involved.

The worst part, is that anyone who owns one, and makes money on it, guard their settings and secrets like… well, just that… trade secrets… There are manuals out there, to get you started, but they are designed for MOPA sources,

So, do yourself a HUGE solid, save up an extra couple of Grand, and get the MAC DADDY! you will thank yourself for it later!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the good information, I am still at the stage where the more I learn the less I seem to know.

1. How can it do color?
  2. What is a MOPA?

MOPA Fiber Laser (Master Oscillator Power Amplifier) … With these laser systems, you know you are getting the best technology on the market. A MOPA laser source is a great way to expand your marking capabilities and improve the quality of the marking results on certain plastics and metals.

It uses different frequencies and wave lentghs to achieve color on steel and titanium. It can also do black on aluminum too… that is priceless!

3 Likes

Are you saying the Fiber laser can change it’s output wavelength? I had no idea that was possible.

for me… I have a 30w. Raycus source. My frequencies run from 20 to 80khz. 20 khz digs and gouges while 80 polishes with a very tight together frequency.
you can anneal steel to give you that cermark look without any sprays or inks… But you cannot get color… that is what the MOPA source is for. operates between 1 - 1000khz… see why its better?

1 Like

I still have a lot to learn about Fiber Lasers

I’m still learning too… Unfortunately the only way to learn is on the machine… And it has to be plugged into your pc while is on too… Otherwise the machine and the software won’t work… It’s not a stand alone like the co2…

I have a 30 watt fiber laser. I bought it from china and so far Im haloy with it. Just a few pointers though. 30 watt minimum, buy the rotery device, there is no easy program like lightburn. C02 laser is pretty simple to figure out with only a few settings that need adjusting. Fibers there are many many more settings and tweaks. They mostly run on EZcad software that is infuriating to learn and at your price range most likely it will come with a non genuine board meaning it will only work with one version of EZcad . There is no trace feature so all your artwork will have to be vecorized elsware. Trump tareifs apply so add 28% to the price.

Well I’m one the fence, I want either a fiber laser or a cnc plasma cutter. I know if I get the fiber I’ll want to get my FFL so I can do guns. But don’t want to mess with a bunch of headaches on software. I know both require some CAD usage, but I think I’ll get more usage out of the plasma making signs etc… not sure I need either, more or a want than a need.

Im in the same boat. Ive already applied for my FFL and dealing with those headaches. A plasma table will prob be my next buy but they take up a ton of space. I would say the learning curve on a plasma table will be alot simpler than the fiber laser.

There is a company out there that sells one that has a 2x2 table, with everything but the plasma cutter. They sell those as well. The table and software is $1500.00 then you add what plasma cutter you want. I don’t foresee needing much larger than that.

Hello,
Can I pick your brain?
We just got our 50w fiber laser from China .
We got it all set up and have a power error.
Is this something you have encountered?
We did not get the transformer they forgot to send it so we purchased one online. And that did not solve the problem. Seaman’s is sending us a transformer. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.
Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Thank you!

I have one but I never had a power error

I bough my 30W Q-Switched Fiber with an original BJJCZ motherboard for $2650 direct to door off Alibaba from GoldMark Laser. The sales person was right on top of everything and the response time for the transaction was very good. Thats the good news. The Bad news is although the motherboard was original (sticker and all) it failed after 30 days. The after sales response has been horrible and Im regretting not going with another company. On the Facebook forums everybody raves about Richard Zhang… he provides high quality and a decent price.

So I bought a 20w from a foreign seller on eBay with US warehouse. Quick to the door and no import fees. It setup well and was in use while I was trying to get details on the PinOut connection for the rotary. It’s a 5 pin DIN plug so it’s different than the typical 4 or 3 pin layouts. Anyway- asked the manufacturer and they asked where I bought it and when; told them and they replied yep we verified that purchase- you need to get that info through the seller.

Contacted the seller who is not US based. We went back and forth for 2 weeks and I got nowhere on finding out how to connect a rotary. I finally say just give me a price on the rotary shown in the listing as an option and head down to use the laser.

Turn everything on, load up my design, set the piece and adjust the focus distance and press fire…nothing. Troubleshoot, rest software to default, check all connection, etc. and nothing. Send seller an add on message saying at this point I think I need to cut my losses and return for a full refund. We message back and forth for a few days where he has reverted to just sending me his WeChat info and insists I call so he can fix the problem.

After having the laser 3 week, not being able to get any answer on a simple connection and the laser crapping out I head back to ebay a hit the return item button. Within 5 minutes I had an ok to return and a shipping label. I crated it up and requested a pickup and it was gone the next day.

Everything that was controlled through eBay went incredibly smooth. I think the quality of the laser was good and I got unlucky with something crapping out and a seller who does not know the products he sells. I searched carefully for the replacement and settled on a 50w with rotary included. It shipped from a US warehouse owned by an non-US company and I am hopeful this works out better than before. I really liked the fiber laser and have to admit while it was here and working my CO2 laser was ignored.

Fingers crossed for Lightburn support of fiber lasers!

1 Like

Only buy from Wisely or Ray Fine. Richard at Wisely and Bryant at Ray Fine. Have had very good response from both even though I ended up going with Ray Fine. You pay a little more than the Ebay or Amazon Lasers but at least you get substantial warranty and help when needed. The only problem is the delay in communication because of the time difference.

Hi peter is annealing print possible on 18k gold, rose gold plated on stainless steel? I have 50w Raycus fiber laser. I have been struggling with this. Could you please help me? Thanks

Here is a site with different settings on materials.
www.fiberlasersettings.org

Does lightburn is supported / works with BJJCZ fiber laser ?