Atomstack X20 Pro - Mac and/or Lightburn Issue - Will not start a job, Frame or go to a location with Laser Position Button

Lightburn 1.3.01 on a Mac Mini running High Sierra (highest OS X supported by hardware), 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD.

I cut 3 projects this morning without issue on the laser and it has been working fine for over a month. I started on a new project and went to Frame the design and the head moves a fraction of a mm and then locks up. You cannot move the Y or X axis, the motors are holding it in place. In the laser pane it says BUSY and the timer is counting but nothing moves. I have to hit stop to get it to release.

Rebooted the Mac Mini and power cycled the laser. Loaded a project I had just cut an hour ago. Hit Frame, same thing, laser head locks and counter counts. Console, on the other hand, says Starting Stream and then instantly says Stream completed in 0:00. No other messages but Laser pane still shows BUSY, counter is counting and motors are holding head in place. Hit STOP.

HOME button works and it homes properly. On Move pane I set distance to 100mm and I can use the controls to move it by 100mm in the X and Y plane without issue. I then hit Home and it homes properly. I click Fire and the laser comes on. So it is accepting commands.

Went to Devices and deleted laser from Lightburn. Reboot MAC and power cycled laser. Opened Lightburn, added laser, still have same issues.

Shutdown everything, moved USB cable to a different port, fired it all up, same issue. The USB cable is a name brand and I bought it when I ordered the laser.

Got out old Windows 10 laptop that I used to use for laser stuff. Plugged in X20 Pro, added device, everything works fine.

So it is a Mac OS X and/or Lightburn issue. Would prefer to use the Mac because it is so much faster then the old laptop and has twice the memory.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try are appreciated.

happy New Year everyone!

JohnnyF

Are you able to run a job from the Mac without framing? Meaning is the issue isolated to the framing?

The port that’s currently selected, is that the same port you’ve always been using?

Hi. Yes, it is the same. Nothing changed since the last job that I did.

No, I cannot use it at all. If I start a job, the head locks up, just like the frame command. The Busy counter continues to count. I have to click STOP to get control back.

Thank you,

JohnnyF

The port name is a little unusual which is why I called it out. What other port options do you have?

Do one thing. Can you take a simple job that you know will fail, the simpler the better, then push “Save gcode” in Laser window. Then save to a file with .txt extension and then upload file here.

I’ll take a look to see if there’s anything fundamentally wrong there. If not, it’s likely either a communication issue or possibly a controller issue.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Macbook air vs. JCZ galvo laser

I am having a similar problem. All of a sudden frame button not working. Homing is fine, but when I try to frame it moves an inch or two and then stops and the laser just shows as “busy”.

I have tried to save the gcode but I get an error message.

Console messages include:
“Shock and Movement detected!”
“Flame Sensor Disabled by User OverRide”
"Flame detector active, Ambient infrared value:0

I’ve powered everything down and up a few times, updated my OS to Ventura, created a new lightburn file and tried framing the a small square.

and when I push stop. I get error:9
“G-code locked out durning alarm or jog state”

Pushing Stop will result in an alarm condition which is normal. You’ll need to rehome to ensure position.

As for the your base problem, it sounds like your laser is detecting shock or movement and stopping as a result. Is the laser well secured or possibly situated at an angle? Make sure it’s not moving excessively or if you’re possibly moving too quickly.

If that doesn’t seem a problem check what version of the firmware you have. This will be listed in Console when you first connect.

If you’re not on the most current firmware I’d suggest you upgrade to the latest firmware for your machine as some of the parameters have been tweaked to help reduce false positives.

Ortur – Firmware Repository – Ortur

If that doesn’t resolve the issue you can further reduce the shock threshold or disable it entirely.

1 Like

As a follow up. I found that the issue happens in Windows 10 as well. So it does not appear to be OS related. Sometimes power cycling the laser fixes it and other times I have to shutdown and restart Lightburn as well. It seems like a firmware issue with the laser. I have re-flashed the firmware and it still happens.

However, under the Apple OS a power cycle of the laser and restart of the software did not always fix it. Sometimes I had to shutdown the computer all together.

I am no closer to figuring it out but at least under Windows 10 I can power cycle the laser and restart Lightburn and continue working.

JohnnyF