Aufero 2 Gantry not moving by hand but moves and guts perfectly with operation

I’ve been using the Aufero Laser 2 for several weeks. Upon initial setup the gantry gave some minor résistance on the left side, but nothing that created any issues. As of today I am not able to move the gantry by hand in the X or Y direction without using extreme force and when it finally moves it moves unevenly. The belts seem ok and the eccentric nuts don not seem overly tight. Any advice would help. Thanks

Is this with the laser powered on or off?

Check witht he laser off. If it’s still doing this then I’d suggest undoing the belts and thoroughly examining all components. I’d guess that the wheels were binding or worn away. I’m surprised the issue is in both directions though. I’d also suggest not using the laser until you sort this out. You’re likely to break something else if you continue to use it in that condition.

Both on and off. Also, not long after my initial post it was no longer doing it. Also, the x axis motor was hot to touch. I did some test cuts and now the laser head is rocking when it moves front to back. Also the cuts aren’t lining up. This has not been an issue in the past.

What you’re describing is a bit odd if it’s happening when laser powered off but then has gone away.

This is likely from loose wheels but it’s possible the wheels have been damaged over time.

What does this mean?

In any case this is almost definitely a mechanical issue of sorts. I’d suggest tearing down your machine and really examining for wear and tear. Replace worn down components.

The seized gantry based on what you’re describing is mostly going to be caused by the stepper motors. However, they should have given way after powering off. I’ve never heard of a stepper motor failing seized and then unseizing so not sure what’s going on there.

Even when the laser is powered off you should only manually move the laser head very slowly as the stepper motors can become little generators sending power back to the board causing harm. When the laser is powered on you should never try to move the laser head by hand at all. Doing so can damage the steppers or other machine parts.

Thanks I’ll give it a try

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.