Bad laser power supply?

I just checked mine and the analog output is also low, 4.78V.

Try moving IN to the PWM out signal instead. Your LPSU is fine with that. Your controller settings look OK so other than moving the wire, you should be good to try it.

Hi,

I move my LPSU control from PWM to analog and did not see much difference, maybe 1/2mA.

I think you have checked everything you can check.

Do you have a way to very the meter is accurate?

At this point I would suspect the LPSU. Without knowing where the screw is set, hard to say.

When my LPSU was not adjust right, I turned the screw 20 turns CCW which on mine was adjust the power down. I set my controller for 50% and then turned the screw 1 turn at a time ( powering the LPSU off each time ) until I got to 13mA. I then set the power to 99% and trimmed it slightly for 25mA

If this was all new stuff, I would see if you can get the LPSU replaced.

On the tube, make sure connections are clean and well connected. Look at the metal tub thats at the output end of the laser, it should be shiny not yellow.

Joel1,

Yeah when I switch the wire to the PWM I did see the voltage go up to 4.88V but saw no change in the amp meter. Right now at 50% power it goes to 20ma at 99% power it goes to 21ma. Unfortunately my unit is just over a year old and is out of warranty. I will try to order another amp meter and see what it reads. Then I may turn the screw out and start over and see if that will help

So it sounds like the LPSU is adjusted out of range so may be acting in a non linear way. I had that happen when I was setting mine up, adjusted the screw too far.

At 50% power, adjust the screw for 13mA and then see what it tops out at.

The meter is certainly the cheapest thing to just change out. I’m not sure how much I would believe it went out.

It sounds like you have had this Laser for a while. So it was working normally before? What kind of current were you running?

The metal tube as in the picture should be more chrome looking than yellow or gold.

Joel1

Does the screw have a stop? If I turn it all the way out will it stop, keep turning, or come out? I bought this a little over a year ago for my wife. She had been playing with it for a little while doing just small stuff with it. We struggled with “initial pierce” when trying to do an outline in acrylic. My wife then had to have a surgery and was out for about 6 months. The laser pretty much sat during that time. I played with it a little and then wanted to start using it more also. When she got better she was still struggling with power setting so I installed a meter to see what mA we were actually pulling. This is where we are now.

The tube is chrome here is a pic

On my LPSU which I think is the same company as yours though I have a different model, the pot is a 20 turn. The generally don’t have a hard stop. When you hit an end you can hear/feel them click.

The laser tube looks OK. Though it looks somewhat different than my W2.

Everything you want to know about a CO2 power supply you can find here;

If you have questions you can find Don hanging out here;

Joel1,

So I backed the pot screw out and never felt a click or anything. I turned it 40 turns out and nothing. Went back in 10 turns and tested it at 50% and was at 8ma Turn it in 1 turn at a time until it went to 14ma at 50% however at 99% it only hits 20 ma. If I turn it in any more only the 50% level moves the 99% stays at 21ma

So it seems like you have checked everything. I’m not sure I suspect the meter being bad. If at 50% you were able to adjust to get 14mA, and 99% only gave 20. I suspect the tube or LPSU. Your picture of the tube did not look bad ( metal tube did not look discolored, but tubes can still age ).

If you go the LPSU route, the version I have HY-Z80 will interface with the Ruida controller to display voltage and current on the display ( RT-Link connector on the controller ). It responds a little slow but is OK when you are manually checking power. You can get the version without the separate display module.

If you are so inclined, there are ways to check the LPSU, but then you are playing with the HV output. If it were me, I would get a new LPSU and if that is not it, keep it as a spare.

The only other thing that concerns me is that it sounds like you bought this laser with the seller claiming it is 100W. The ruida W2 is really a 80-90W with a peak output around 100W. A lot of sellers over drive the tubes which wears them out.

When you get it sorted, set the max current to 26mA, the tube will be happier. I set mine to 25mA for max life.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.