Big Letter combined with name (Monogram)

Someone was asking how to create something like this:

So, as a way for me to learn new things that I don’t normally do, and as an archive for that gentleman to reference, AND because you guys are so cool here, I figured I’d go through and describe the process. Here it is:

Step 1. Create your letter. Make sure it’s a serif font. Those are fancy. Also, convert to path from the Edit menu, and group the text all together.

Step 2. Create a box where you want your text to go:

Step 3. Boolean Difference those two shapes from the Tools menu.

Step 4. Put some text in that gap, like so. Change your height setting so that it’s close. You’re not doing rocket surgery here though, so don’t bother too much getting it ‘perfect’. Also, align those two shapes centered vertically.

Step 5. Draw some boxes for the top and bottom of the word. Make sure the boxes overlap the word and the letter. Also group those boxes together.

Step 6. Select the big letter and your box group, and Boolean Union them together.

Step 7. Select your big letter and your word, and Boolean Union those together.

Step 8. Put some frilly fancy crap all over it. (The font for the fancy frilly crap is called “Beloved Ornaments”. I don’t know where it came from.)

Step 9. Credit Blake with all of your success, and give him 20% of your profits. Paypal available upon request.

Thanks for following along. If you have any questions, or I missed something important, please let me know. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Thanks I was going to try doing this one day!

1 Like

I love “put frilly, fancy crap all over it” - this made me giggle.

9 Likes

I think the fancy frilly things are called ‘flourishes’! At least that’s how I found some. :smile:

1 Like

That sounds a lot nicer, too. Maybe that’ll help people find some better ones than the crap I came up with.

I have a lightburn file, with all the split monograms in it. If I want to work on one, I just copy the letter open a new file, paste the letter, resize, add the name, weld and then send to the laser.

3 Likes

1 Like

Check out www.template4me.com if you want to let the software do the work for you.

1 Like

A similar one here, but free: https://suncatcherstudio.com/split-monogram-maker/

2 Likes

Ha, that’s cool. Lots of options, that’s good. That link would have saved me a lot of time on the tutorial. :laughing:

2 Likes

It should be noted that those aren’t free for commercial usage, but the cost for commercial usage for everything on that site is the same as just the monogram maker from template4me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.