BikeMike's White Tile Method

Here are a few suggestions for tile drying.

This is a warming plate I made for accelerating the curing of silicone when refurbishing my 3D printer tanks. This is what I would usually use for drying tiles etc.:

It uses a self-adhesive heating pad (I got mine from Ebay and AliExpress):

It’s controlled by a cheap temperature controller, again easily sourced from Ebay etc.:

I also made a cover for it with my laser:

Here’s a microwave that’s been converted for curing my 3D prints but can be utilised for drying small items after painting etc…:

Fan and heater sourced from Ebay with ducting printed on my Form 2.:

Or there’s a small tabletop oven which is a lot more expensive but will go to much higher temperatures.:

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Just had a look at the label on my laser head and it states 5w max output. Guess that is why yours is so much faster than mine. My original head was just 2.5w.

I usually don;t do anything to the tile after burning them.
For pot holders I do put self adhesive felt pads on the bottom so they don’t scratch anything.

Looking forward to the warm weather as well so I can start some wood projects I have been thinking of trying and etching.

For drying the tiles, I have one of those lights that you put the scented wax in the top and the bulb melts it. I took the wax bowl out and put a tile on it. Worked like a charm. Bit slow, so I plan to make one with a higher wattage bulb and see how that works.

1 Like

Yes, that would explain it.

I have an extra table top oven laying around somewhere, but I don’t think it will go low enough to not burn the paint if I forget about it.

These ovens often have a simple clockwork timer built in so you might want to check your one to see whether it’s got one. Yes temperature is an issue with this type of oven. I plan to add a second temperature controller such as one of these:

That will allow me to control the oven at much lower temperatures.

This is the best tile yet.
For whatever reason, I can not get a good picture of it.
In person it looks amazing, in picture not so much.

Mike post the file here or pm it and I would love to try it for comparison.

@RonClarke

File removed. Wrong file.

Let me know how it goes.
FYI scan angle is 45 degrees.

Sorry Mike I have mislead you. Can I have the original photograph file before uploading and editing in Lightburn. The file I have received contains all the settings made in Lightburn. I would like to start from scratch and use my own editing programme to import into the laser software.

Oh, ok makes sense.
Check your PM.

Another day, another test. Just down to settings now.
Pretty happy with this one. (ok, 99% happy)

1 Like

Looks good… Just got the acrylic paint, so I’m ready to give it a shot…

Are you still using this formula?

:smiley_cat:

That’s nice Mike. I think the acrylic paint (PVA in my case) is the key to holding, when dry, the Titanium in place while etching. Most importantly is getting it all mixed evenly. Nice solid blacks and fine detail proves the process is a success.

Same mix.
Almost ready to make another batch.

I last messed with Ron’s method a couple of months ago… but could never get even or consistent coatings. However BikeMike’s recipe sounds like it might be more workable than what I last tried… using white acrylic craft paint vs PVA glue. But I have a silly question…

When you said, “mix in 2 1/4 teaspoons (us) titanium dioxide”… is that

• specifying TWO 1/4 teaspoons, or

• 2-1/4 teaspoons (NINE 1/4 teaspoons)

of TiO2?

Thanks.

– David

2 teaspoons, then 1/4 teaspoon.

Add enough water to thin it so it will flow out smooth in 15 min. or so, but not so much it just runs of the tile.

When you think you have it mixed good enough, do it again. It has to be mixed very well before each use.

Thank you!

Here is where I am at with this.
The first is the compass I did in fill mode.
The second is in image mode.

They both came out fantastic using my method.
It does take some testing, so don’t be discouraged if it does not work the first time.
You will need to do…
Line interval test.
power and speed test using fill mode.
And a gradient test for power and speed.
They should get you in the ball park.

If you try this, please post pic’s of what you have done.

1 Like

Hi!
Apologies for intruding! My name is Robin and I paint (not walls :slight_smile: } so I am familiar with TD I’ve been following this discussion as tiles are all I have been able to do (my laser dislikes me lol). If the pics come through I would appreciate any advice! The first two should be with TD/ethanol. The next one is something I’ve been playing with.

Not an even spray.

The laser jumped… I think

An idea. The scratches were caused by seeing if the color would scrub off.